The Utah 4-H STEM program introduces youth to science, technology, engineering, and math in an engaging, hands-on learning environment.
Through related activities and curriculum, youth develop and further thinking processes, life skills, and interpersonal skills through opportunities to solve real world scientific and technological problems, computational thinking, the scientific method, and engineering design.
To find out more about STEM 4-H programs, visit the National 4-H website.
- Confidence in dealing with complexity
- Persistence in working with difficult problems
- The ability to handle ambiguity
- The ability to deal with open-ended problems
- Setting aside differences to work with others to achieve a common goal or solutions
- Knowing one's strength and weaknesses when working with others.
- Decomposition: Breaking down data, processes or problems into smaller, manageable parts.
- Pattern Recognition: Observing patterns, trends, and regularities in data.
- Abstraction: Identifying the general principles that generate these patterns.
- Algorithm Design: Developing the step-by-step instructions for solving this and similar problems.
- Identify a Problem: What is the problem or need you are trying to solve with your design? How did you identify this need?
- Research current products and constraints: What already exists to address the problem? What can you do to improve the current solution? What constraints do you have to work within (time, supplies, budget, etc.)?
- Brainstorm possible solutions: Think through all of the possibilities!
- Select the most promising solution.
Check back soon for more information on these project areas!
- Robotics and Drones
- Outdoor Design
- Physical and Natural Sciences
- Digital Arts
Camps, Contests, and Events
Digital Arts Competition
Feb. 01 – Mar. 29, 2021
A fun competition focusing on photography, videography, 2D, and 3D Digital Arts, as well as a 30 hour video shoot contest.
For more information, rules, and guidelines, select your interest below:
30 Hour Shoot
TRY Team Training
STEM/Agriscience (Robotics, Drones, CS, Unplugged),
Financial Literacy (SmartCents, Grants).
A Design Challenge based camp for 7th/8th Graders.
A Team based Hackathon Challenge
May the 4th
May the 4th be with you as you celebrate Family STEM Day!
A workshop and story-based drone competition.
Game Design Challenge
June – Sept., 2021
The Game Design Challenge is fun way to create and build your very own board game!
Problem Solvers Design Challenge
Team based design challenges focusing on the Engineering Method.
A creative Pixelation Challenge