What Can I Do...
...To keep lakes and rivers clean?
- Don't use too many fertilizers or pesticides around your house. They can wash into the storm drains and end up in a stream!
- Never put something down a storm drain that may hurt a fish.
- Don't be a litter bug. Always dispose of trash in a proper container, not in the water.
- Make sure that your family car doesn't leak oil or antifreeze. This can wash into the water and be dangerous for fish, birds, even cats and dogs.
- Walk only on existing trails when near the water to help reduce erosion.
...To conserve water?
- Don't leave the water running while you brush your teeth.
- Limit your showers to 10 minutes or less.
- Look around your house for leaky faucets. Ask your parents to fix them immediately.
- Keep a pitcher of water in the refrigerator so you don't have to run the faucet to wait for the water to cool down.
- Clean your sidewalks with a broom, not a hose.
- Wash your car or dog on the lawn instead of the driveway. This way your lawn gets
Teach your parents and friends how they can help to conserve water and keep the lakes and rivers clean and beautiful!
Visit our Water Conservation Site for more information.