Powerpoint on the Importance of CNMPs
- This powerpoint goes over why producers should develop CNMPs and how they can be beneficial (sustainable, profitable, run smoothly etc.,)
Technical Guidance for Developing Comprehensive Nutrient Management Plans
- This document was written by NRCS and USDA with the intent to provide technical guidance for the development of CNMPs as well as address existing manure management problems and water quality impacts in a manner that is most appropriate for those affected.
Example of complete CNMP text
- Sample of a document drawn by certified CNMP planners describing the site, objectives, purpose and goals of the CNMP.
Technical Notes from a completed CNMP
- Describes the timeline in which a CNMP is created, as well as outlining the process and steps of completing a CNMP. Available as a.
Agriculture Environmental Management Systems (AEMS)
- AEMS helps producers evaluate existing facilities and practices. They identify opportunities to take voluntary actions that reduce or eliminate environmental risks, and ensure compliance with federal, state, and local requirements.
Does my facility require an AFO or CAFO permit?
- Flow chart to determine if an animal feeding operation (AFO) needs a CAFO permit.
Definitions of large, medium, and small CAFOs
- Definitions of CAFOs with a table that can be used to determine CAFO size based on animal sector (cattle, sheep, turkeys etc.,) and size threshold (number of animals).
Utah's AFO/CFO Strategy
- The purpose of this strategy is to outline a process to achieve the goal of addressing existing manure management problems and water quality impacts in a manner that is most appropriate for each operator affected, and which can be implemented with reasonable cost and within reasonable time frames.
Landowner's Survey: How to Protect Your Water from Fertilizer Contaimination
- This survey is designed to help landowners identify some common risks that fertilizer storage and application practices can pose to water. The results of the survey are intended to provide general information and recommendations regarding farmstead practices and potential risks to water quality.
How to Protect Your Water from Fertilizer Contamination
- This fact sheet includes information about handling, storing, and applying fertilizers. It includes sections on fertilizer storage, mixing and loading practices, spill cleanup, container disposal and other management factors.
Fertilizer Management for Grass and Grass-Legume Mixtures
- This publication discusses how grass and grass-legume mixtures serve an important role in providing hay and pasturebased
forage for livestock in Utah. It also goes over fertility requirements and recommendations for different nutrients such as nitrogen, phosphorous, potassium, and sulfur.
Managing Agricultural Fertilizer Application to Prevent Contamination of Drinking Water
- This publication discusses agricultural uses of fertilizer, why it is important to manage fertilizer use near sources of drinking water and available prevention measures to address agricultural applications of fertilizer.
Best Management Practices Monitoring Guide for Stream Systems
- This document provides guidance on establishing a water quality monitoring program that will demonstrate the effectiveness of Best Management Practices (BMPs) to reduce nonpoint source pollution in stream systems.