Junior Livestock Program
The 4-H Jr. Livestock Program is designed for those youth with interest in livestock and livestock events. The focus is to provide experiences that help these youth develop leadership, citizenship, self esteem, social skills, as well as becoming better livestock men and women. The 4-H Livestock Program is educational, activity-oriented, and fun!
This program is for youth in grades 3-12, but not younger than 8 years old as of each September 1st enrollment year. In order to provide for the safety and best interests of the participants, the Junior Livestock Program is one of only a few 4-H programs that does not include Cloverbud enrollment (younger than third grade). Enthusiastic 4-H Volunteers with expertise and interest in livestock and working with youth help to deliver and manage the program and it's objectives.
The 4-H Livestock Program includes projects for those youth who own/have access to livestock and those who do not, but still want to learn about the science of livestock selection, care, and management. Activities can include everything from educational and fun club meetings, livestock shows, county fairs, service projects, judging contests, and leadership opportunities. Club members hold club offices, give public speeches and demonstrations, do service projects, and spend time with their favorite friend...animal or human.
Workshops 2023*RSVP required for all clinics. Please use this link to RSVP to any of the clinics.*
- Nutrition Clinic with IFA - May 17, 6 pm @ 4-H Clubhouse
- Sheep & Goat Showmanship Clinic - June 20, 6 pm @ 4-H Clubhouse
- Hog Care & Showmanship Clinic - June 23, 9 am
- This clinic will be held at a private residence. You must RSVP to receive the address to attend.
Junior Livestock Rule Book
For more information or questions regarding the Junior Livestock program rules, contact:
Larisa Nageli- Jr. Livestock Council President
2023 Salt Lake County Jr. Livestock Show Dates
Livestock show schedule link: https://slcojrlivestock.com/rules%2Fschedule
Salt Lake County Jr. Livestock Show - August 8th - 12th
TAGGING DATES ANNOUNCED…
The Salt Lake County Jr. Livestock tagging dates are as follows:
- Steer Tagging: April 29th 9 -10 am (Other species welcome)
- Hog, Goat, Lamb tagging: May 20th 9 - 10 am
- March 7, April 4, May 9, 6:30 - 7 pm
- By appointment only with Scott (email@example.com) to be tagged
These will be held at the Bastian Agriculture Center (2100 W 11400 S, South Jordan, UT 84095) by the south end of the racetrack.
PLEASE NOTE: Salt Lake County 4-H members you MUST be active in 4h.zsuite.org for the current year (Sep, 1, 2022-->Aug, 31,2023) BEFORE your animal gets tagged. If you're having trouble with the 4h.zsuite.org enrollment or have questions, please reach out to the Salt Lake County 4-H staff.
The Salt Lake County Jr. Livestock Show is a state sanctioned show and is open to all 4-H and FFA exhibitors in the state of Utah.
SLCo Jr. Livestock Show Registration Information
The entry deadline(s) is typically 45 days prior to the start of the show. Late entries may be accepted up to 30 days prior to the start of the show along with a $25 fee per exhibitor. The link and entry deadline dates will be posted after the tagging deadline.
This year, registrations will only be accepted through "Fair Entry." You will be required to pay the registration fee ($10 per animal) in order to submit your registration. The address is: slcojrlivestockshow.fairentry.com. Registration deadline is June 24th. Late entries will be accepted with a $25 late fee per exhibitor until July 9th.
2023 Show Updates:
- 4-H Portfolio and FFA Recordbook Contest is BACK! Entries will be submitted via Google Form. Deadline is August 1st at Midnight.
- Livestock Portfolio Entry Link: https://forms.gle/wD2gBrpYurGizvbB8
- We will be holding a Livestock Quiz Bowl Contest during the show! Deadline is August 1st at Midnight.
- Each exhibitor must declare the sale of their animal(s). Animals not entered into the auction will NOT be added to the sales list and will not be sold.
- Each exhibitor is allowed to sell three (3) market animals. You must specify which animals you will sell. You will have 30 minutes following the close of the steer show on Thursday evening to declare. If you do not declare, you cannot sell.
- The Schedule for 2023 has been changed so make sure you go to the SLCo Jr Livestock website and look it over. All breeding and the mini cattle show will be held on Wednesday.
- Interested in becoming a show or buckle sponsor? Email Larisa at firstname.lastname@example.org
Utah Jr. Livestock Association Tagging:
All junior livestock shows supported by the Utah State Junior Livestock Association require that animal projects be tagged with a permanent, tamper-proof tag. The association has uniform tags to be used throughout the state. These tags identify specific animal projects, help track ownership, and are required to participate in any state show. It is the exhibitors responsibility to make sure they have the proper steer, hog, sheep, or goat tag for the show they plan to attend. All exhibitors must be verified as Utah 4-H or FFA members in good standing to compete.
Animals must be tagged 100 days before the weigh-in of a show for beef (steers and market heifers), and 60 days for sheep, goats, and hogs. The deadlines for tagging are listed below:
Utah State Junior Livestock Show | Spanish Fork | May 2
Beef: January 22, 2023
Sheep, Goats, Hogs: March 3, 2023
Millard County Junior Livestock Show | Delta | May 30
Beef: February 20, 2023
Sheep, Goats, Hogs: April 1, 2023
Uintah Basin Junior Livestock Show | Vernal | June 5
Beef: February 26, 2023
Sheep, Goats, Hogs: April 7, 2023
Southeastern Utah Junior Livestock Show | Ferron | July 5
Beef: March 28, 2023
Sheep, Goats, Hogs: May 7, 2023
Salt Lake County Junior Livestock Show | South Jordan | August 8
Beef: May 1, 2023
Sheep, Goats, Hogs: June 10, 2023
Utah State Fair| Salt Lake City | September 13
Beef: June 6, 2023
Sheep, Goats, Hogs: July 16, 2023