Outdoor Skills Program
The Outdoor Skills Program builds upon the best aspects of our 4-H project areas to engage youth in a skills centered program focused on: building interest and engagement in career related fields, developing life skills that enhance scholastic achievement, and increase interest and engagement in an active healthy outdoor lifestyle.
The Outdoor Skills Program is designed to take youth’s project area skills (cooking, sewing, hiking, camping, etc) and connect them to a college degree and career.
Outdoor Skill Activities/Events:
- Outdoor Product Design
- Outdoor Cooking
- Outdoor Education
- 4-H Birding
We live in a wonderful state to enjoy the outdoors! These resources below can help get you outside:
- Your Salt Lake County 4-H Office has these awesome "Utah 4-H Birding Record Books" available for purchase! This half-page booklet is spiral bound and includes a page of birding levels that youth can obtain as they record birds they've seen, a page of award information they can earn throughout the year and receive at the annual birding award night, and a list of the names of 400 plus birds found in Utah by category. You can purchase through the events tab in Zsuite!
- Start your own club! We have DISCOVER 4-H Club curriculum to get you started. There are 6 week programs in subjects such as Geology, Forces of Nature, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Education, Wildlife, and much more! Stay tuned as we are in the process of developing curriculum as well. https://utah4h.org/discover/
- Check the 4-H Curriculum on Environmental and Outdoor Sciences here: https://shop4-h.org/collections/environment-outdoor-science-curriculum
- We also have mobile labs at the office available for checkout including: Yarn and Bead Weaving, Guide to Animal Tracks and Scat, and Outdoor Cooking.
- Utah Nature Explorers - A wonderful program through USU extension that includes lesson plans, curriculum, and equipment to check out. https://extension.usu.edu/utahnatureexplorers/
- Every Kid Outdoors – Print free national parks passes for any fourth grader! Website includes lessons on Exploring Federal Lands and Waters, Environmental Stewardship, Our Nation’s Native People, and Citizen Science. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to have a staff member come to your class to teach a lesson! https://everykidoutdoors.gov/
- Please contact the office for questions, mobile labs, and ideas!