Three Bean and Beef Chili
Serving size: 1 1/4 cup; Serves 4 | Ready in: 1 hour 30 minutes | Adapted from thefoodnetwork.com
Looking for a recipe to win your neighborhood chili cook off? Try this flavorful and hearty chili that will win your (and your neighbors') taste buds over.
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup onions, diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup carrot; 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 pond 90% lean ground beef
- 14 oz canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 can chipotle chili in abodo sauce, seeded and minced
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 oz canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 oz canned kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 oz canned pinto beans, drained and rinsed.
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Dollop of sour cream
- Tortilla chips
- Heat oil in large pot or dutch oven over moderate heat
- Add the onion, bell pepper and carrots, over and cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the cumin and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the ground beef; raise the heat to high and cook, breaking up the meat with a spoon, until the meat is no longer pink.
- Stir in the tomatoes, water, and chipotle and adobo sauce, oregano and salt and pepper.
- Simmer, partially covered, stirring from time to time, for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the beans and cook, partially covered, 20 minutes longer.
- Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
Amria Farnsworth, and Casey Coombs, MS, RD