Sweet Potato and Black Bean Quesadillas
Our sweet potato black bean quesadillas are a delicious vegetarian recipe that is very filling, due to its high protein and fiber content. Easily make them your own by adding different toppings!
- 4 whole wheat tortillas
- 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 can low-sodium black beans
- shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp. cumin
- pinch of salt
- cooking spray
1. Prepare the ingredients
- Peel and cube the sweet potatoes into 1-inch square sections.
- Cover and microwave the sweet potatoes for 6-7 minutes.
- Thoroughly rinse and dry the black beans.
2. Mash the potatoes and combine with other ingredients
- Mash the sweet potatoes inside a large bowl with a fork.
- Add black beans, cilantro, cumin, and salt to the sweet potatoes.
- Stir until well combined.
3. Assemble the quesadillas
- Spread a generous amount of the mixture on half of each tortilla.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of the mixture, and fold the tortilla in half.
4. Cook on medium-high heat
- Cook quesadillas in a shallow pan until golden brown.
- Flipand cook other side.
- Serve immediately.
Tasks for Helping Hands:
- Mashing the sweet potatoes
- Measuring ingredients
- Mixing ingredients
- Sprinkling cheese
Carrie Durward, PhD, RD, Sydney Mason, and Chelsey Mickelson