Hearty and Healthy Pasta Bowls
In this wholesome recipe, fresh vegetables combine with high-protein ground beef to create a hearty, yet healthy take on a classic pasta-sauce combination. Whole grain pasta is used in place of an enriched macaroni product so your family receives all of the nutrients grains should contain.
- Cooking oil
- ½ yellow onion, finely diced
- ½ a zucchini, finely chopped
- ½ bag of shredded carrots, finely chopped
- ½ red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. garlic
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 lbs. ground beef
- 1 bottle healthy tomato pasta sauce
- 1 box whole wheat pasta
Note: For picky eaters, use a hand grater or a food processor to make the veggies less noticeable.
1. Prepare the ingredients
- Heat a large pot of salted water to boiling on high.
- Finely dice the onion and shredded carrots.
- Chop the zucchini and bell pepper.
2. Cook pasta
- Add the pasta to boiling water.
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions.
- Strain the pasta once it is cooked and set it aside.
3. Cook the ground beef and onions
- While the pasta is cooking, heat 1-1 ½ tablespoons of cooking oil in a pan over medium-high heat.
- Cook the ground beef and onions and cook until the onions are almost translucent.
4. Sauté the veggies with the meat
- Add the zucchini, bell pepper, and carrots to the pan.
- Cook all of the contents in the pan until the zucchini and bell pepper are both soft.
5. Add the sauce
- Mix the pasta sauce into the pan of meat and vegetables.
6. Servce pasta topped with sauce
Tasks for Helping Hands:
- Chopping the vegetables
- Watching for the water to boil
- Stirring the sauce
Carrie Durward, PhD, RD, Sydney Mason, and Chelsey Mickelson