Apple Cinnamon French Toast
This fruity take on a breakfast classic is ideal for Sunday morning breakfasts with the family or a weeknight breakfast for dinner. Try using a thick sourdough or whole grain bread that will absorb the egg mixture extra well. To mix it up, try different toppings such as almond or peanut butter, fresh fruit, honey, or dark chocolate shavings.
- 6-8 thick pieces of whole wheat bread
- 6 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- Cooking spray
- Maple syrup for topping
Apple Cinnamon Topping:
- 2 apples thinly sliced
- Cooking oil
- ½ tbsp. maple syrup
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
1. Prepare the ingredients
- De-core and thinly slice apples.
- Slice bread if it is not already pre-sliced.
2. Make apple cinnamon topping
- Heat a small amount of cooking oil in a large skillet.
- Once heated, add apple slices and cook until soft.
- Add cinnamon and maple syrup until well combined and set aside.
3. Egg mixture
- Heat large skillet.
- In a medium-sized, shallow bowl, crack eggs and whisk in milk, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon and salt.
4. Soak bread
- Soak each piece of bread in egg mixture before transferring to a heated pan sprayed lightly with cooking oil.
5. Brown French toast
- In skillet, brown each side for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown, flip, and repeat.
- Continue until all the bread and egg mixture is gone.
- Plate French toast with heated apple cinnamon topping and extra maple syrup if desired.
Tasks for Helping Hands:
- Thinly slicing apples
- Stirring apples on stove
- Egg cracking and mixing
- Dipping bread into egg mixture
Carrie Durward, PhD, RD, Sydney Mason, and Chelsey Mickelson