What is USU Extension?With offices covering Utah's 29 counties, Utah State University Extension provides research-based community education, resources and programs in the areas of agriculture and natural resources; business and community; food, health, and wellness; home, finance, and relationships; and 4-H and youth.
How We Can Help
USU Extension offers expertise and pertinent information specific to the needs of our county
Tooele County 4-H & Youth
Local 4-H forms and fliers:
To register in one of our 4-H activities, you need to first be registered
in 4-H for 2022-23. Once your status is "active" you can register in the activity. Enroll in 4-H and register for 4-H activities at 4h.zsuite.org
- 2022 Tooele County Fair 4-H Exhibitors Guide Book
- Register 4-H indoor exhibits for the 2022 Tooele County Fair
- 2022 Tooele County Fair Coloring Page (sponsored by 4-H)
- 2022 Tooele County 4-H Fair Activities and Contests
- 4-H Portfolio Forms
Looking for new 4-H project ideas you can do now at home? Check out the DISCOVER 4-H CLUBS curriculum. Download for free today. There are highlighted topics can be done with supplies you probably already have at home!
Tooele County 4-H 2022 Service Adventures:
- MARCH 2022: Birthday Kits for the Food Bank! Thanks for your generosity Tooele 4-H! The food bank is struggling to keep up with the demand so we know there is great need in our community. Together, we created and delivered 70 birthday kits. That is 70 kids who will have a little more cheer on their birthday. If you missed out on this service adventure or just want to do more, its never too late. Put together a birthday kit or two and deliver it to the food bank. Throw in some additional food donations to make it even more helpful.
- APRIL-JUNE: Serve Those Who Serve Us! Think of all the people who help you in your life: parents, police, firefighters, military, medical, at church, at school and of course 4-H leaders! Plan how you can serve them. You can make cookies for them, do yardwork for them wash their cars and the list goes on. Now grab your club or friends or family or just yourself and go do it! While you are at it, take pictures! Send a short blurb to Robyn Handley at firstname.lastname@example.org about what you did and who you did it for and who helped you and how your service was received and how it made you feel. Don't forget to include your pictures. Can't wait to see what you have come up with.
- Enroll in Tooele County 4-H
- State 4-H Calendar
- Utah State 4-H website
- 4-H Volunteer Resources
- 2022 Tooele County 4-H Horse Council By-Laws
- 4-H Horse Test Study Material Book 1
- Western Horse Program Rule Book
- 4-H Horse Test Study Material Book 2
- 4-H Horse Program Rank Book
- Updated Utah State Turkey Show Rules for 2020
Tooele County Junior Livestock Show
The 2022 Tooele County Jr. Livestock Show will be held August 3-6 at Deseret Peak. Updated show and sale book and show checklist will be available here soon (until then, the 2021 versions are here for reference)
- 2022 Tooele County Jr. Livestock Show Checklist
- 2022 Livestock Show & Sale Book
- 2022 Sheep Fitting & Showmanship Demo at THS on June 13th @ 10 am
- 2022 Beef Fitting & Showmanship Demo at THS on June 27th @ 6 pm
- 2022 Swine Fitting & Showmanship Demo at THS on July 11th @ 6 pm
- 2022 Steer Hoof Trimming July 14 at the Gowans Ranch in Vernon starting at 9 am. $25 cash or make checks out to Byron Orton
- 2022 Goat Fitting & Showmanship Demo at THS on July 18th @ 7 pm
- 2022 Showmanship Showdown at Deseret Peak, July 23
Tooele County Agriculture & Natural Resources
Tooele County has a substantial agricultural base, with more than 400,000 acres of farmland. Agriculture products account for over $15,000,000 in the Tooele County economy. The Tooele County Extension Office is involved in disseminating educational materials and providing educational programs that improve the profitability and sustainability of farms in the County.
The Utah 4-H Livestock Program is designed for youth with interest in livestock and livestock events.Entry Forms and Show Book
Tooele County Gardening
Master Gardener Program
Master Gardeners provide an essential part of the Extension horticulture program. They volunteer their time to the Extension office by helping with: phone calls, information booths, garden shows, fairs, demonstration gardens, plant diagnostic clinics, and serving in other community programs. Visit our Facebook page for activities and newsletters.
Become a Master Gardener. Classes begin January 25, 2022 - March 17, 2022
Earlybird registration fee is $165.00 until January 11, 2022. After that, the registration fee is $200.00.
For more information, call 435-277-2400 or 435-277-2409.
2022 Master Gardener registration form
Learn how to deal with those pesky pests that seem to ruin your garden and your day.
Garden Answer Clinic (Plant/Pest Diagnostic Clinic)
What: USU Extension and the Tooele Master Gardeners conduct a Plant/Pest Diagnostic Clinic
When: May - September, Every Wednesday, 3-6 p.m.
Where: USU Extension Office, 151 North Main Street, Tooele
Bring: Your horticulture samples for diagnosis and your questions for answers. We will be pleased to serve you.
Become a Master Gardener. Classes begin January 25, 2022 - March 17, 2022
Calling All Volunteers
Master Gardener programs are in frequent need of volunteers to assist with events like Community Gardens, Garden Expo, Diagnostic Clinic, and other seasonal events.USU Extension Garden Store
Tooele County Home, Family & Food
Family and Consumer Sciences
The FCS Agent’s focus is to teach the knowledge, skills, attitudes, and behaviors needed for:
- Balancing personal, home, family and work lives.
- Promoting optimal nutrition and wellness across the life span.
- Strengthening the well-being of individuals and families across the life span.
- Using critical and creative thinking skills to address problems in diverse family, community, and work environments.
- Ensuring security for the family’s financial needs.
- Promoting and sustaining the 4-H youth organization.
Finance - Money Management
Putting together a monthly spending plan is key to successful money management.
Download and fill out this spending plan to get started.
Coupon Presentation Resources
- NEAFCS Coupon Powerpoint Presentation
- AFCPE Coupon Powerpoint Presentation
- Coupon Craze Powerpoint Presentation
- Coupon Presentation Evaluation
- Coupon Class Promo - Three Flyer on Page
Food Preservation & Canning
From the USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning, find tasty recipes and ensure you are doing canning correctly. Learn the proper methods of food preservation to fully enjoy your final food products.More Info
Make a difference in the life of local youth by sharing your time and talents. Become a 4-H youth volunteer by assisting in existing 4-H clubs or start your own 4-H club. The clubs in place are livestock, horse, sewing, cooking, computer, poultry, insects, and many more. Begin the volunteering process here, or contact the Tooele County USU Extension Office at 435-277-2405.
Get involved in agriculture/natural resource research projects, workshops, tours, and farm field days. To volunteer contact Linden Greenhalgh at 277-2407or email email@example.com.
If you enjoy gardening come join the Master Gardener Organization. Master Gardeners server this community by teaching gardening classes, answering gardening questions and helping with community gardens.
For more information visit the Gardening tab.
Family Consumer Sciences:
Utah State University Extension offers a variety of workshops and classes. These provide many opportunities for volunteers to become involved. These volunteers augment the success of these programs. Come and get involved in planning and delivering valuable programs to the people of Tooele County.
Call Darlene Christensen, Family and Consumer Science Agent, at 277-2406, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
USU Extension Tooele County Contact Information
USU Extension Tooele County Events
Select Calendar Date
Select Calendar View