Skip to content
Predaceous ground beetle (Jim Jasinski, Ohio State University, Bugwood.org)
Predaceous ground beetle (Llona L., Wikimedia Commons)
- 1/16 to 1 3/8 inches long
- most are black or dark red, although some are blue, brown, or green
- typically have shiny/glossy/metallic sheen
- very common in pest monitors
- outdoors under logs, rocks, debris, etc.
- nuisance indoors
- beneficial outdoors
- Minimize hiding areas near the foundation.
- Seal cracks around the outside foundation wall.
- Install tight-fitting door sweeps at the base of all exterior doors.
- Vacuum beetles that enter buildings.
- Change exterior lighting to sodium vapor bulbs.