Crane fly (Jessica Louque, Smithers Viscient, Bugwood.org)
Crane fly (Joseph Berger, Bugwood.org)
- resemble very large mosquitoes
- thin, elongate body and extremely long legs
- do not have biting mouthparts
- breed in moist areas with abundant vegetation
- some breed in turfgrass
- larvae feed on roots, grasses and other organic matter
- occasionally enter buildings when a door or window is left open
- cannot survive indoors for long
- Control is typically not necessary.
- Install properly-fitting screens on all windows.
- Keep doors and windows closed or open with properly fitted screens.
IPM for Flies: Integrated Pest Management in Sensitive Environments (University of Nebraska-Lincoln Extension)