- small to very large spiders
- unique eye pattern (top image)
- females carry egg sacs on spinneretts and spiderlings on their back
- solitary wandering hunters
- not found in webs
- found in ornamental plantings, under objects, woodpiles, in mulch, etc.
- some small black species occur in great numbers in lawns in the spring, causing alarm
- insects and spiders
- can be a nuisance when they mistakenly entering buildings
- not known to be a health hazard
- Minimize nesting habitat around property.
- Seal exterior cracks and crevices to reduce hiding places.
- Regularly vacuum individuals and webs.
- Reduce clutter indoors and outdoors.
- Install tight-fitting door sweeps.
- Install tight-fitting screens in windows.
- Reduce other insects that serve as food.
- Use pest monitors to capture wandering spiders.
- Change exterior lighting to sodium vapor bulbs.