Vole size comparison (Manuel R., Wikimedia Commons)
Vole damage to bark (USDA Forest Service, Bugwood.org)
Vole damage in turf (Ryan Davis, Utah State University Extension)
- 3 - 6 inches long
- hairy tail with short hairs
- make runways/tunnels in turf, mulch, etc.
- burrows in the ground along runways
- prefer areas of heavy ground cover
- cause damage to turf and ornamental plantings
- occasionally enter buildings by accident, but do not become established indoors
- Install tight-fitting door sweeps.
- Seal exterior cracks, crevices and areas around pipes and electrical that enter buildings through walls.
- Reduce clutter indoors and outdoors.
- Keep all exterior doors closed.
- Use snap-traps placed with triggers in vole runways.
- Eliminate weeds, ground cover, mulch and dense ornamental plantings that provide food and shelter during warm weather.