- 1/16 – 1/8 inch long
- dull reddish brown
- deep pits covering the pronotum (area behind the head)
- four light spots on wing covers
- strong fliers
- tuck in legs and remain motionless when disturbed
- larvae: white, legless grubs with brown head capsules
- lay eggs inside of grain and other products
- larvae develop inside grain and other products
- corn, wheat, rice, beans, nuts, cereals, rye, barley, buckwheat, bird seed, pet food and stored cotton and wheat products
- one of the most important pests of stored products
- Locate and dispose of infested food items.
- Properly store all susceptible food items in pest-proof containers.
- Inspect all incoming food items for pests.
- Clean all spilled food products and food storage areas in general.
- Keep food in regular rotation.
IPM for Fabric and Pantry Pests: Integrated Pest Management in Sensitive Environments (University of Nebraska-Lincoln Extension)