December Gardener’s Almanac Tips - Ask an Expert
By JayDee Gunnell | December 1, 2023
Though yards and gardens have been put to bed, there are still outdoor tasks to consider and holiday gardening gifts to give. Consider these ideas.
- Use deicing compounds sparingly to avoid salt damage to landscape plants.
- If natural precipitation is sparse and the ground is not frozen, water evergreen trees and shrubs to ensure they are well hydrated heading into winter.
- Purchase poinsettias to brighten your home. Learn how to care for them and keep them alive beyond the holidays.
- Spruce up you holiday decorating with a wide variety of holiday plants. They offer color and texture to décor.
- Learn about Christmas tree selection and care.
- Shop for your gardener. Great holiday gifts include: books, pruners, gift certificates, gloves, a living wreath, pottery, and yard ornaments.
- Sign up to become a member of the USU-sponsored Botanical Gardens and receive discounts on classes and workshops, along with other benefits. Or, consider giving a gardening membership as a gift!