Join USU Extension as we run, walk and play our way to being healthy!
What is Marathon Kids?
Marathon Kids is a national program with the mission to get all kids moving. Research shows when children participate in Marathon Kids, they have a better chance of getting the recommended amount of daily physical activity. That’s good news for their bodies and minds. When kids feel healthy, they perform better in school, think more clearly, and improve their attitude/behavior. This program is free and all kids of any fitness level or age can participate.
How to join the Summer USU Extension Marathon Kids Program.
Looking for a fun and free way to keep your family active this summer? Join USU Extension Marathon Kids June 10 – August 26 as we run, walk, and play our way to being healthy!
- Step 1. Sign up HERE
- Complete the registration survey to sign-up participants as young as 2 years of age.
- Step 2. Set a goal & get active
- No matter what you want to achieve, setting a goal is an important step to help guide your focus and keep you motivated.
- You can walk, run, play, or do any kind of heart-pumping activity to count towards your marathon of activity – every mile or minute counts! If you aren’t able to officially measure your running or walking distance, you can base your mileage on time. Every five minutes of heart-pumping activity or exercise you do is equivalent to a quarter of a mile.
Examples of run/jog/walk minutes:
- 5 minutes = 1/4 of a mile
- 10 minutes = 1/2 of a mile
- 15 minutes = 3/4 of a mile
- 20 minutes = 1 mile
Examples of heart-pumping activities:
- 5 minutes of jumping rope = 1/4 mile
- 10 minutes jog/walk = 1/2 mile
- 15 minutes of bike riding = 3/4 mile
- 20 minutes of a high-intensity interval training (HIIT) workout = 1 mile
- Step 3. Track your activity.
- There are two ways to track your activity: digitally or on paper.
- Digital Platform: after you sign up, you will receive access to a free tracking platform. Here you can enter minutes or miles of activity and watch your progress throughout the summer!
- Paper Trackers: if you prefer using paper, we have multiple options available to keep track of your activity:
Free Utah Mileage Tracker Free Printable Mileage Log Free Printable Activity Log
- Step 4. Join the USU Marathon Kids Facebook group
- Join our Facebook group to stay up to date with program updates, resources, and marathon accomplishment.
Interested in getting active with friends? Considering becoming a USU Extension Marathon Kids coach?
Contact email@example.com to see what in-person programs are near you and to learn about coach training opportunites!