Little Valleys Administration Site
Plate 925X. Little Valleys Administration Site 1953 – 1986 – 2005 Viewed north across the lower part of Shakespeare Hollow north of Panguitch Lake. The photopoint is just south of the former USFS administration site - - note the fence on the right of the 1953 image. As an administration site, the area inside the fence had not been grazed by livestock in many years - - thus, the lush growth in the 1953 photo compared to areas outside the fence - - see Plate 924x. The administration site, however, was abandoned sometime during the 1960’s and the fence removed - - all that remains today are the building foundations. The area was actively being grazed by cattle in 2005 - - elk and deer also use the site. Silver sage and rubber rabbitbrush have increased in the meadow, while aspen has not regenerated in many years due to repeated ungulate browsing (Kay and Bartos 2000). Conifers, oakbrush, and curlleaf mountain mahogany have increased on the distant hillside.
U.S. Forest Service photographs (unnumbered) taken on August 24, 1953 and September 4, 1986; retake by Charles E. Kay on June 26, 2005 - - Photo No. 5476-22. Original photographs, negatives, and reports held in the range files on the Cedar City Ranger District, Dixie National Forest, Cedar City, UT.
Sagebrush, Aspen, Conifer, Oakbrush, Mountain Brush
South West: Section 33, Range 7 West, Township 34 South; UTM 355650 E, 4185400 N; elevation 8,800 ft.