East Fork Of The Sevier River
Plate 301X. East Fork of the Sevier River 1904 - 1943 - 2003 Viewed northeast across the East Fork of the Sevier River below Long Creek on the Paunsaugunt Plateau. Note the dense growth of willows along the East Fork in 1904 and how willows had declined by 1943 due to excessive browsing by livestock, according to early photo captions. Today, the stream has downcut 10 to 15 feet and willows have all but been eliminated. Spruce and other conifers have increased dramatically. In fact, conifers now block the original view, so the 2003 retake was made from the nearest open area, which is a little higher and further from the stream. In 1943, the area in the foreground was described as being “made up of unpalatable [rubber rabbitbrush] and annual weeds of little value for grazing.” Today, that area has been contour-trenched and reseeded with intermediate wheatgrass by the Forest Service to improve range conditions. The camera station is on the west side of the river immediately downstream of where the new road crosses the East Fork.
U.S. Forest Service photographs (1904 – unnumbered, 1943-468725) taken in 1904 and 1943; retake by Charles E. Kay on August 8, 2003 - - Photo No. 5231-22. Original photographs held by the Forest Service Regional Office Photographic Collection housed at Weber State University, Ogden, UT.
Riparian, Conifer, Dry Meadow
South West: Section 19, Range 4 West, Township 37 South; UTM 388100E, 4159500 N; elevation 7,900 ft.