Plate 169 DAMERON EXCLOSURE: 1942 - 1950 - 1999 The Dameron exclosure was built in 1936 to study the impact of wildlife and livestock on this range. The exclosure is of a 3-part design with one area fenced to exclude livestock but accessible to deer; an adjacent area fenced to exclude all ungulates; and a third unfenced area open to use by both deer and cattle. The area is a major mule deer wintering area where the main browse species is cliffrose (Cowania stansburiana) – see Plates 166 and 167. This view is down the dividing fence between the two fenced areas. Both wildlife and livestock were excluded from the area on the right while deer, but not cattle, have access to the area on the left. In the 1999 photo note how cliffrose has regenerated on the right where both wildlife and livestock had been excluded. Cliffrose did not regenerate within the area used only by deer, indicating that deer use alone was sufficient to prevent recovery. Pinyon (Pinus edulis) and juniper (Juniperus sp.) appear to have increased both on the distant hillside and in the deer use only area (1999 photo left). The cleared area in the 1999 photo is a chaining completed by the Forest Service and the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources to restore wildlife habitat lost to encroaching pinyon th juniper.
1942 photo taken on June 11 and 1950 photo #463257 taken on Aug. 22 by the Forest Service; 1999 photo taken by Kay #4508-30 on Sept. 10. Forest Service photos held by the Fillmore Ranger District [see file 2620 on Dameron Canyon Exclosure], Fishlake National Forest, Fillmore, UT.
Mountain Brush, Pinyon, Juniper
South Central: Fishlake National Forest, Fillmore Ranger District; T24S, R5W, Sect. 5, UTM 4290500 N, 370790 E; elevation 5,540 ft., viewed to north.