Plate 562X. Swains Creek 1919 – 2004 Viewed southwest up Swains Creek about 200 yards south of Utah Highway 14. Sometime after the 1919 image was made, Croft Lumber Company built a sawmill on the site - - see Plates 460x and 461x. The light colored material in the foreground is the sawdust from the old mill. Needless to say, construction of the sawmill destroyed much of the original woody riparian vegetation. A few willows, however, are still present, as there is a spring just off the photo to the right. Other willows are hidden from view by the sawdust pile. That spring, rather than Swains Creek, once fed the sawmill’s log pond - - see Plate 461x. Conifers, primarily spruce, white fir, and ponderosa pine, have increased. A new road has been constructed up Swains Creek. Utah Highway 14 has also been built farther up the hill to the right.
U.S. Forest Service photograph (41727A) taken in August 1919; retake by Charles E. Kay on August 7, 2004 - - Photo No. 5369-11. Original photograph (2220-Dixie-3) held in the U.S. Forest Service Regional Office Photographic Collection housed at Weber State University, Ogden, UT.
South West: Section 23, Range 7 West, Township 38 South; UTM 358350 E, 4151000 N; elevation 7,650 ft.