Plate 851X. Paria River 1912 – 2005 Viewed southwest down the Paria River at Paria townsite. The ox teams seen in the original image had apparently brought mining supplies up the riverbed from Lee’s Ferry (Kelsey 2004:282). The river channel has narrowed and is more vegetated today than in the past. Cottonwoods and willows have become established, as have tamarisk and Russian olive.
Original photograph taken in 1912; retake by Charles E. Kay on June 18, 2005 - - Photo No. 5450-11. Original photograph from Kelsey (2004:282).
Riparian, Salt Desert Shrub
South West: Section 18, Range 1 West, Township 41 South; UTM 415500 E, 4122800 N; elevation 4,740 ft.