Plate 442X. Paria River 1921 – 2004 Viewed north-norhteast up the Paria River. The former Paria townsite is on the far side of the river - - note the old cabins and other buildings (photo right-center) visible in 1921. Also note the cattle in the original image - - photo left-center. The stream channel has narrowed and woody riparian vegetation is more abundant today then in the past, despite yearly cattle grazing. Cottonwoods and willows have increased, as have arrowwood, tamarisk, and Russian olive. Shadescale and greasewood occupy the drier sites. The area was actively being grazed by longhorn cattle in 2004.
Original photograph taken by R.C. Moore (No. 155) in 1921; retake by Charles E. Kay on May 15, 2004 - - Photo No. 5310-6. Original photograph held by the U.S. Geological Survey Photographic Library, Denver, CO.
Riparian, Salt Desert Shrub
South West: Section 18, Range 1 West, Township 41 South; UTM 416100 E, 4121650 N; elevation 5,200 ft.