Plate 168 DAMERON HOLLOW: 1941 - 1999 The Dameron Hollow exclosure was built in 1936 to study the impact of wildlife and livestock on this range. The exclosure is of a 3-part design with one area fenced to exclude livestock but accessible to mule deer; an adjacent area fenced to exclude all ungulates; and a third unfenced area open to use by both deer and cattle. The area is a major mule deer wintering area where the main browse species is cliffrose (Cowania stansburiana) – see Plates 166 and 167. By 1999, cliffrose regenerated only where both wildlife and livestock had been excluded. Cliffrose did not regenerate within the area used only by deer, indicating that deer use alone was sufficient to prevent recovery. Pinyon (Pinus edulis) and juniper (Juniperus sp.) had increased by 1999 both inside and outside of the exclosure. These photos are from inside the deer-only use area; the total exclusion area is behind the tall fence on the right. The juniper on the left edge of the photo in 1941 increased in size by 1999 and blocked the view so the camera was moved slightly forward for the 1999 photo. The cliffrose nearest the camera in 1941 died, but the one by the person was still alive in 1999 but partly hidden from view by the two junipers that have grown up just inside the fence. There are no new cliffrose plants and the existing shrubs were still heavily used by deer. Pinyon and juniper appear to have increased on the distant hillside.
1941 photo #407320 taken by the Forest Service on April 20; 1999 photo taken by Kay #4508-25 on Sept. 10. Forest Service photo held by the Fillmore Ranger District [see file 2620 on Dameron Canyon Exclosure], Fishlake National Forest, Fillmore, UT
Mountain Brush, Pinyon, Juniper
South Central: Fishlake National Forest, Fillmore Ranger District; T24S, R5W, Sect. 5, UTM 4290500 N, 370790 E; elevation 5,540 ft., viewed to north.