Consider these five ways to use pumpkin seeds:
- Cinnamon toast pumpkin seeds: 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons sugar, 3 tablespoons melted butter or olive oil.
- Chili pumpkin seeds: 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 tablespoon tamari sauce, 2 teaspoons garlic powder, 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt to taste.
- Spicy pumpkin seeds: ½ teaspoon paprika, ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes, 2 tablespoons melted butter or olive oil.
- Ginger zest pumpkin seeds: 2 tablespoons ground ginger, 2 tablespoons sugar, ½ teaspoon orange zest, 2 tablespoons melted butter or oil.
- Parmesan pumpkin seeds: ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, 2 tablespoons melted butter or oil.
Pumpkin seed pesto
- 2 cups hulled (green) pumpkin seeds
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup water.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor. Cover and chill until ready to use.
Add them to trail mix or granola.
Add them to baked goods or use in brittle.
Garnish soups, salads and desserts.
Jaqueline Neid-Avila, Utah State University Extension nutrition faculty, Jaqueline.Neid-Avila@usu.edu, 801-451-3404
Ask an Expert: Five Tips for Safe Holiday Eggnog
Since the early 1800s, eggnog has been considered a social Christmas drink that adds to the festivities of the season. To many, it brings back fond memories of Christmases by the firelight, real Christmas trees and the grandest of holiday meals.Read More
Ten Tips for Healthy Holiday Eating
The average American will consume about 4,500 calories on Thanksgiving Day when the pre-meal party, the actual dinner and dessert, then evening leftovers are all taken into account. That is enough to gain a pound or two, which can be remedied, but how many more days like this will there be?Read More
Ask an Expert: Eleven Ways to Stop Overeating Using Mindfulness
Often a new year brings resolutions to get healthy, eat better and lose weight. As most of us know, this is much easier said than done. It becomes more difficult when we have issues with challenging work schedules, family responsibilities and the office candy bowl that is so tempting. Mindless eating can sabotage our resolve, so what can we do about it?Read More