Consider these five ways to use pumpkin seeds:
- Cinnamon toast pumpkin seeds: 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons sugar, 3 tablespoons melted butter or olive oil.
- Chili pumpkin seeds: 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 tablespoon tamari sauce, 2 teaspoons garlic powder, 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt to taste.
- Spicy pumpkin seeds: ½ teaspoon paprika, ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes, 2 tablespoons melted butter or olive oil.
- Ginger zest pumpkin seeds: 2 tablespoons ground ginger, 2 tablespoons sugar, ½ teaspoon orange zest, 2 tablespoons melted butter or oil.
- Parmesan pumpkin seeds: ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, 2 tablespoons melted butter or oil.
Pumpkin seed pesto
- 2 cups hulled (green) pumpkin seeds
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup water.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor. Cover and chill until ready to use.
Add them to trail mix or granola.
Add them to baked goods or use in brittle.
Garnish soups, salads and desserts.
Jaqueline Neid-Avila, Utah State University Extension nutrition faculty, Jaqueline.Neid-Avila@usu.edu, 801-451-3404
Ask an Expert: Four Tips for Money Mindfulness in 2018
he common buzzword today seems to be "mindfulness" - mindful eating, mindful exercise, mindful relationships, etc. The idea behind mindfulness is to be more aware. Mindfulness helps us develop attentiveness.Read More
Tips for Stopping the Spread During Cold and Flu Season
Basic Tips: Clean and wipe down shared surfaces such as countertops, keyboards and phones. Avoid touching your mouth, nose and eyes, and wash hands thoroughly and often. etc.Read More
Ask an Expert: Seven Ways to Improve Your Slumber
The amount of sleep we need changes with age. Teens need 8-10 hours of sleep each night. Lack of proper sleep affects their growth, academic performance, mood and behavior. Adults 18-64 years of age require 7-9 hours of sleep. Sleep needs for older adults may slightly diminish with age.Read More