Consider these five ways to use pumpkin seeds:
- Cinnamon toast pumpkin seeds: 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons sugar, 3 tablespoons melted butter or olive oil.
- Chili pumpkin seeds: 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 tablespoon tamari sauce, 2 teaspoons garlic powder, 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt to taste.
- Spicy pumpkin seeds: ½ teaspoon paprika, ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes, 2 tablespoons melted butter or olive oil.
- Ginger zest pumpkin seeds: 2 tablespoons ground ginger, 2 tablespoons sugar, ½ teaspoon orange zest, 2 tablespoons melted butter or oil.
- Parmesan pumpkin seeds: ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, 2 tablespoons melted butter or oil.
Pumpkin seed pesto
- 2 cups hulled (green) pumpkin seeds
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup water.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor. Cover and chill until ready to use.
Add them to trail mix or granola.
Add them to baked goods or use in brittle.
Garnish soups, salads and desserts.
Jaqueline Neid-Avila, Utah State University Extension nutrition faculty, Jaqueline.Neid-Avila@usu.edu, 801-451-3404
Ask an Expert - Eight Tips for Salvaging Carpets and Clothes after a Flood
With heavy snowfall and recent warm temperatures, many Utahns have experienced flooding in their homes. Flood or drain backup water may contain sewage and unknown chemicals that can contaminate carpet and present a health hazard.Read More
5 Tips For Food Safety at Holiday Buffets
Let's take a closer look at buffets, whether at a restaurant or any type of gathering, and be aware of how to avoid becoming ill for the holidays. Following a few general tips should help keep you protected.Read More
Ask an Expert: How to Combat 13 Barriers to Relationship Fun
Boring, drab, lifeless, stale, dull, tedious. These are probably not the words you hope to use to describe your relationships. How about well planned, frugal, precise, productive, serious, busy? Though these can be characteristics of a strong, healthy relationship, they are not likely those things that make a relationship seem appealing.Read More