Consider these five ways to use pumpkin seeds:
- Cinnamon toast pumpkin seeds: 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons sugar, 3 tablespoons melted butter or olive oil.
- Chili pumpkin seeds: 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 tablespoon tamari sauce, 2 teaspoons garlic powder, 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt to taste.
- Spicy pumpkin seeds: ½ teaspoon paprika, ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes, 2 tablespoons melted butter or olive oil.
- Ginger zest pumpkin seeds: 2 tablespoons ground ginger, 2 tablespoons sugar, ½ teaspoon orange zest, 2 tablespoons melted butter or oil.
- Parmesan pumpkin seeds: ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, 2 tablespoons melted butter or oil.
Pumpkin seed pesto
- 2 cups hulled (green) pumpkin seeds
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup water.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor. Cover and chill until ready to use.
Add them to trail mix or granola.
Add them to baked goods or use in brittle.
Garnish soups, salads and desserts.
Jaqueline Neid-Avila, Utah State University Extension nutrition faculty, Jaqueline.Neid-Avila@usu.edu, 801-451-3404
Ask an Expert: 12 Tips for Earthquake Readiness
With the sobering news of recent natural disasters around the world, many people are wondering how they would respond during and after such traumatic events. What emergency preparations have you made? What would you do in a tornado? What would you do in an earthquake?Read More
Ask an Expert: Five Tips for Food Safety at Holiday Buffets
The aromas of holiday foods often bring to mind the sweet memories of years past. Whether a large family gathering, office party or pot luck, the holidays are filled with traditional foods that bring people together. On the other hand, there may be in your memory a time where the result of such a gathering left you nauseous, vomiting or worse because of an episode of food-borne illness.Read More
Four Reasons to Opt Outside on Black Friday
As the holidays roll around, so does the challenge of juggling numerous things - from arranging airport schedules, to cooking the perfect meal and even planning for Black Friday shopping deals. But maybe it is time to take a step back.Read More