Consider these five ways to use pumpkin seeds:
- Cinnamon toast pumpkin seeds: 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons sugar, 3 tablespoons melted butter or olive oil.
- Chili pumpkin seeds: 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 tablespoon tamari sauce, 2 teaspoons garlic powder, 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt to taste.
- Spicy pumpkin seeds: ½ teaspoon paprika, ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes, 2 tablespoons melted butter or olive oil.
- Ginger zest pumpkin seeds: 2 tablespoons ground ginger, 2 tablespoons sugar, ½ teaspoon orange zest, 2 tablespoons melted butter or oil.
- Parmesan pumpkin seeds: ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, 2 tablespoons melted butter or oil.
Pumpkin seed pesto
- 2 cups hulled (green) pumpkin seeds
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup water.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor. Cover and chill until ready to use.
Add them to trail mix or granola.
Add them to baked goods or use in brittle.
Garnish soups, salads and desserts.
Jaqueline Neid-Avila, Utah State University Extension nutrition faculty, Jaqueline.Neid-Avila@usu.edu, 801-451-3404
Ask an Expert: Six Tips for Holiday Spending
According to The National Retail Federation, American consumers spent $655.8 billion on the holidays (excluding automobiles, gasoline and restaurants) in 2016. Consumer spending is expected to increase by up to 4 percent this holiday season.Read More
Ask an Expert: 12 Tips for Earthquake Readiness
With the sobering news of recent natural disasters around the world, many people are wondering how they would respond during and after such traumatic events. What emergency preparations have you made? What would you do in a tornado? What would you do in an earthquake?Read More
Ask an Expert: Five Things That Can Change Your 2017 Taxes
April 17 is tax day for 2018, and even though it is almost 6 months away, you are nearly out of time to put important tax preparation measures into place.Read More