Positive Discipline is a parenting program designed to teach young people to become responsible, respectful, and resourceful members of their communities. Based on the best-selling Positive Discipline parenting books by Dr. Jane Nelsen, the program teaches important social and life skills in a manner that is deeply respectful and encouraging for both children and adults. Parenting with Positive Discipline means being kind and firm at the same time, which is effective long-term and helps children feel a connection — a sense of belonging and significance.
Recent research tells us that children are hardwired from birth to connect with others, and that children who feel a sense of connection to their community, family, and school are less likely to misbehave. To be successful, contributing members of their community children must learn necessary social and life skills.
Five Criteria for Positive Discipline:
- Is Kind and Firm at the same time. (Respectful and encouraging)
- Helps children feel a sense of Belonging and (Connection).
- Is Effective Long-Term. (Punishment works short term, but has negative long-term results)
- Teaches valuable Social and Life Skills for good character. (Respect, concern for others, problem-solving, accountability, contribution, cooperation)
- Invites children to discover how Capable they are and to use their personal power in constructive ways.
Register Below. Please note:
- Each course is facilitated live by USU educators.
- Most courses have multi-sessions (e.g., once per week). Plan to attend all sessions.
- Must live in Utah and be age 18 or older to attend.
- Virtual and In-person Options. (please double check before registering)
- Check back for newly scheduled options.
- Interested in hosting a “private” course for your business or friends? See healthyrelationshipsutah.org/get-involved/host-a-course
When asked what they learned from this course, participants said:
“SO happy and THANKFUL for this class online! It is IMPOSSIBLE to PLAN for a day when both my husband and I can get away so THIS IS GREAT. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!!:)” -Coito Family
“The mix of media is really engaging and I love the variety of supporting materials available.” -Allison M.
“This is an amazing course, short interesting clips, easy to follow techniques, accompanying summarizing workbook, plenty of opportunities for self reflection. If you believe that children as well as adults deserve respect and dignity: you will see how simple it to achieve in your family. For me it is changing everything for the better! If you don’t have 6 years to study psychology, relationships, communication skills etc get this course! Your children and their children’s children deserve it.”
To learn more about this course by Dr. Jane Nelsen go to: positivediscipline.com
Learn more about the courses we teach: