USU Extension Weber County 4-H
What is 4-H?
The 4-H youth program emphasizes “learning by doing” for youth in grades K-12 of all backgrounds. The primary goal of 4-H is to assist youth in developing life skills that help them live productive and satisfying lives.
In 4‑H, we believe in the power of young people. We see that every child has valuable strengths and real influence to improve the world around us.
We Believe In:
- all young people’s potential;
- developing young people who are empowered, confident, hard-working, determined, responsible and compassionate—seeing a world beyond themselves so that they have the life-long skills to succeed in college and career,
- ensuring access and equity for all,
- the power of America’s leading public universities,
- the practice of positive youth development (PYD)* by creating positive learning experiences,
- caring and trusted adult mentors who cultivate positive relationships with youth,
- creating safe, diverse and inclusive environments, and
- meeting young people wherever they are.
Although the 4-H program began as a learning opportunity for farm youth, today’s 4-H program includes a variety of projects and activities, ranging from robotics and computer coding to shooting sports and even cosplay.