UNDERSTANDING YOUR WATERSHED
- Exploring Utah's Water
- Seven Ways to Protect your Local Watershed
- Dissolved Oxygen
- Water Regulations
PROTECT YOUR WATER
Factsheets explain potential sources of pollution and their management.
Surveys help you identify risks on your property.
AROUND THE HOME:
- Risks to Your Water Fact Sheets and Surveys
- Managing Your Septic System
- Water Conservation in the Home
- Testing Your Well Water
- Do you know where your water has been?
- Rainwater Harvesting in Utah
- Community Actions to Reduce Water Quality Impacts of Stormwater
- Identifying the Risk to Water Quality in Urban Areas
K-6 LESSON PLANS
Coloring Book (pdf)
If Bugs Could Talk (pdf)
Surface Water Model (pdf)
The Incredible Journey (pdf)
A Drop in the Bucket (pdf)
Water Cycle Word Search (pdf)
Water Cycle Crossword (pdf)
Water Cycle Relay Race (pdf)
Water Cycle Drama (pdf)
Water Cycle Song (pdf)
5-12 LESSON PLANS
Aquatic Invasion! (pdf)
Watershed Detectives (pdf)
Riparian Review (pdf)
Who Lives in the Water? (pdf)
- Jackson-Smith, Douglas, Nancy Mesner, David Stevens, Phaedra Budy. 2013. Review of Utah’s 319 Nonpoint Source Program. Part II: Assessment of Best Management Practice (BMP) Implementation, Maintenance and Effectiveness. Prepared for Utah Division of Water Quality. 147 pp.
- Jones,Amber Spackman, Jeffery S. Horsburgh, Nancy O. Mesner, Ronald J. Ryel, and David K. Stevens. 2012. Influence of Sampling Frequency on Estimation of Annual Total Phosphorus and Total Suspended Solids Loads. Journal of the American Water Resources Association (JAWRA). Vol. 48, No. 6. 1258 pp.
- Mesner, Nancy. 2012. Review of Utah’s 319 Nonpoint Source Program. Part I: Program Administration and Operation. Prepared for Utah Division of Water Quality. 68 pp.
- Mesner, Nancy and Ginger Paige. 2011. Best Management Practices Monitoring Guide for Stream Systems. University of Wyoming B-213.
- Spackman Jones, Amber, David K. Stevens, Jeffery S. Horsburgh, Nancy O. Mesner. 2011. Surrogate Measures for Providing High Frequency Estimates of Total Suspended Solids and Total Phosphorus Concentrations. Journal of the American Water Resources Association (JAWRA). Vol. 47, No. 2. 239 pp.
- Jeffery S. Horsburgh, Amber Spackman Jones, David K. Stevens, David G. Tarboton, Nancy O. Mesner. 2009. A Sensor Network for High Frequency Estimation of Water Quality Constituent Fluxes using Surrogates. Environmental Modeling Software. Department of Watershed Sciences, Utah State University, Logan, UT, USA. 1031 pp.
- P. Rieke Arentsen, R. R. Gillies, Nancy Mesner, 2004. Satellite Derived Impervious Surface Area as an Indicator for Water Resource Impacts in a Semi-Arid environment, Utah, USA. Department of Aquatic, Watershed, and Earth Resources, Uthan State University, Utah, USA. 231 pp.
- D.W. Meals, N. Mesner, D. Jackson-Smith, D. Stevens, J. Horsburgh, D. Sorensen, A.E. Luloff, D.L. Osmond. Little Bear River Watershed, Utah: National Institute of Food and Agriculture–Conservation Effects Assessment Project. How to Build Better Agricultural Conservation Programs. 358 pp.
- Tiffany Kinder, Nancy O. Mesner, Mark Larese-Casanova, Kimberly H. Lott, Adrienne Cachelin, and KatherineLaLonde. 2015. Changes in Knowledge and Attitude from a Short-Term Aquatic Education Program. Natural Sciences Education. Vol. 44. pp 18.
- Andreé D. Walker, Nancy O. Mesner. 2007. Stream Side Science: Tailoring Watershed Education to Meet Needs of Teachers. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation. Vol. 62, No. 5. 104A pp.