- up to 1/2 inch long; legless white grub with a brown head capsule
- 1/4 - 1/2 inch long
- shiny black to shiny brownish black
- blunt snout
- larvae develop in soil at the base of host plants
- adults spend the day at the base of host plants in litter
- larvae: roots of woody shrubs, especially lilac
- adults: leaf margins of many plants
- adults are common nuisance invaders of homes during late summer and fall
- can damage leaves and roots of ornamental plants
- Use a vacuum and/or sticky traps to collect weevils indoors.
- Seal cracks, crevices, windows and other areas where weevils can enter.
- Larvae and feeding adults can be managed outdoors with an appropriately labeled, soil-applied insecticide.