Black Soldier Fly
- large; dark-colored
- 2 white patches just behind wings
- flattened appearance
- larvae and pupae: dark brown and flattened; 1 inch long
- lay eggs in garbage and other decaying organic material; moisture; compost piles; dumpsters
- larvae feed in garbage and other decaying organic material
- pupate outside of the food source
- moist decaying organic material
- pupae often found in large numbers around dumpsters
- rarely breed indoors; adults usually found in low numbers
- adult presence indoors indicates breeding areas near doors/windows
- Regularly inspect and clean dumpsters and surrounding areas.
- Seal cracks around doors and windows.
- Install properly-fitting screens in all windows.
- Install weather stripping around all edges of doorways.
- Keep doors and windows closed or open with properly fitted screens.
- Use fly light traps.