Integrated Pest Management
Hosts, Symptoms & Signs
- can affect all lawns; do not directly attack grass
There are three types of fairy rings:
- type I: soil and thatch become hydrophobic and the grass dies; brown ring of dead grass
- type II: rings on the lawn that are 2 – 8 inches wide with lush green grass
- type III: mushrooms and puffballs are produced in the ring
- white fungal mycelium can be found in thatch and soil for all three types
- disease cycle is not known
- Reduce thatch with proper cultural practices.
- Mask fairy ring; water deeply and fertilize to stimulate growth of grass around ring.
- For type II fairy rings, a wetting agent may be needed.
- Control with fungicide drenches is inconsistent.
- Soil replacement: remove soil about 20 inches to each side of the ring and up to 30 inches deep and replace with sterile soil. This is a very expensive management option.