Master Food Preserver Program
Enjoy a multi-session course and develop expertise in food preservation. Take the entire series or take only the individual sessions you need. Courses are taught at Weber, Davis, Salt Lake, and Utah Counties; all provide a 20-32 hour course. If the current schedule does work for you add your name to our Interest List to receive updates about future classes. Interest List
You Will Learn:
- The latest information on food safety and food preservation
- Prevention of food-borne illness
- Food storage and safety
- Canning basics
- Canning high and low acid foods
- Pickled and fermented foods
- Preserving jams and jellies
- Freezing foods
- Drying food products
Dates: June 23-26
Time: 8 am – 11:30 pm and 12:00pm - 3:00pm
(The full course includes each scheduled day from June 23-26)
Roy High School (2150 W 4800 S) Directions
$130 for the full course; $25/day; $12/half day
Call 801-399-8207 for registration or any questions you may have.
Full course includes: 2 books; student manual and fact sheets; apron; and lots of samples of preserved food!
This is a 12-part, 32-hour training but it can be taken by the individual topics you may want.
Call 801-399-8207 for registration or questions.
Tues. June 23
Part I: Introduction, food science and microorganisms (8:00am-11:30am)
Part II: Canning Fruits and Pie Fillings, Freeze Dryer Prep (12:00-3:00pm)
Wed. June 24
Part I: Jams, Jellies, and Spreads (8:00am-11:30am)
Part II: Dehydrating Fruits, Leathers, Veggies and Jerky (12:00pm-3:00pm)
Thurs. June 25
Part I: Pressure Canning Low Acid Foods (8:00am-11:30)
Part II: Pickling and Fermentation (12:00pm-3:00pm)
Fri. June 26
Part I: Canning Tomatoes and Tomato Mixtures (8:00am-2:00pm)
Review and Final Exam; Product samples; Pressure Lid Testing; Judging; Clean Up.
Davis County Master Food Preserver Program TBA
Time: Times varies (see agenda)
Utah House and Utah House Classroom - 920 S 50 W, Kaysville, UT
- 9:30-12:00 Let's Jam - Home Food Preservation Class
- 1:30-4:30 The Basics of Pickling and Fermenting Foods at Home
- Taught by Teresa Hunsaker, Extension FCS Educator Weber County
- 9:30-12:30 Under Pressure: Pressure Canning for Beginners
- 9:30-12:30 Basics of Canning Tomatoes
- 1:30-4:30 Food Preservation: Basics of Canning Fruit
- Taught by Melanie Jewkes, Extension Associate Professor Salt Lake County
If you have any questions, please call Tessa Henri 435-919-1321
Date: July 7-9, 2020
Time: Start and finish time are listed in the Full Agenda
Utah State Fair Park 155 North 1000 West - Zion's Building Directions
$130 for the full course; $45/day; $23/half dayRegister Here
Full course includes: 2 canning books, student manual, fact sheets; apron; and lots of samples of preserved food!
Each day will include light refreshments and product tasting, however participants are encouraged to bring a sack lunch.
Tues. July 7
Check-in: 8:30 - 8:55am
- Session 1:
- 9am - 10:30am Food Safety/Prevention of Foodborne Illness and Canning Basics workshop
- 10:30am - 1:00pm: Canning Fruits and Pie Filling workshop & hands-on lab taught
- Break: 1:00pm - 1:30pm. Bring your own lunch, some snacks provided
- Session 2:
- 1:30pm - 5pm Dehydrating & Freezing workshop & hands-on lab
Wed. July 8
- Session 3: 9:00am - 12pm
- Pressure Canning Meats & Soups workshop & hands-on lab
- Break: 12pm - 12:30pm. Bring your own lunch, some snacks provided
- Session 4:
- 12:30pm - 5pm Canning Tomatoes and Tomato Products workshop and hands-on lab
Thurs. July 9
- Session 5:
- 9:00am - 11:30am Jams & Jellies workshop & hands-on lab
- 11:30am - 12:00pm Lunch. Provided with canned products
- Session 6:
- 12:00pm - 4:00pm Pickles & Pickled Products workshop and hands-on lab, taught by Teresa Hunsaker
- 4:00pm - 5:00pm End of series testing and canned products raffle
2019 Master Food Preserver
Spanish Fork Fairgrounds - High Chaparral Building
475 South Main Street, Spanish Fork, UT 84660
$130 for the full course; $25 for individual sessions
Session 1: 8:00-11:30 am Food Safety, principles of canning and dehydrating
Session 2: 12:00-4:00 pm Canning fruits and pie fillings
Session 3: 8:00 am-1:00 pm Pressure canning meats and soups; freezing and freeze-drying
Session 4: 1:30-4:00 pm Jams, jellies and spreads
Session 5: 8:00-11:30 am Pickling, fermenting and fresh pack
Session 6: 12:00-4:00 pm Tomatoes and salsas
For questions, call 801-851-8479.
Master Food Preserver Volunteer Opportunity
After completing the entire course, you may request to become a Master Food Preserver Volunteer. Master Food Preserver Volunteers:
- Provide information at local farmers’ markets, fairs, or community events.
- Answer canning calls during canning season.
- Teach presentations and workshops as part of a team or on your own for community groups and schools.
- Prepare educational displays, writing articles for newsletters, newspapers.
Request more information about becoming a volunteer during the course from your USU Extension agent.