Education Programs

Recreation Resources Management for Undergraduates:

RaftingThe Department of Environment and Society (ENVS) in the College of Natural Resources offers an undergraduate degree in Recreation Resources Management. This degree prepares students for careers in managing outdoor recreation settings, such as public forests and rangelands, state and national parks, and wilderness areas; working in visitor centers or interpretive facilities; and working in related tourism and recreation businesses. Because these jobs require an understanding of both the land itself and the people who visit these areas, the major offers a solid foundation in both the biological and social sciences.

For degree requirements and for information on other undergraduate degrees offered in EnvS, see the college website.

Recreation Resources Management at the Graduate Level:

The Department of Environment and Society (ENVS) in the College of Natural Resources offers M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Recreation Resources Management for students wishing to study issues of wildland recreation management and science beyond the Bachelor's degree. Students choosing this degree program can prepare for careers with a state or federal agency that manages outdoor recreation settings, as a university faculty member with expertise in recreation resources management, as a researcher with a government agency or private consulting firm, as a professional with a non-profit organization involved in natural resources and environmental education, or as an outdoor recreation provider in the commercial sector.

  • For more information see the Graduate Degree Information Sheet.
  • For information on the Enviornmental Education and the Natural Resources and Environmental Education (NREE) Graduate Certificate, click here.
  • For information on other graduate degrees offered in EnvS, click here.
Other Degree Programs in Utah:
  • University of Utah Department of Parks, Recreation, and Tourism
    The Department of Parks, Recreation, and Tourism curriculum offers the opportunity to study leisure theory and research, as well as applied topics related to the park, recreation, and tourism profession. As such, courses are offered in Commercial Recreation, Hospitality Management, Tourism, Urban Parks and Recreation Administration, Natural Resources Recreation Planning and Management, Therapeutic Recreation, and Experiential Education. Undergraduate and graduate degrees are offered.

  • Brigham Young University Recreation Management and Youth Leadership
    The Department of Recreation Management and Youth Leadership offers undergraduate degrees in Leisure Services Management, Therapeutic Recreation, and Scouting Education. They also offer a graduate degree in Youth and Family Recreation. The department is committed to excellence and functions under the umbrella of the stated goals of the University.

  • Southern Utah University Department of Physical Education: Outdoor Recreation in Parks and Tourism Degree
    The Bachelor of Science Degree in Outdoor Recreation in Parks and Tourism (ORPT) is an interdisciplinary degree program offered by the Department of Physical Education within the College of Education. The interdisciplinary nature of the program includes course work from Agriculture Science, Biology, Communications, Geology, and Hotel and Hospitality Management. The degree program in ORPT is intended to provide students with training that qualifies them to work in a variety of work settings including outdoor and experiential education, outdoor adventure programming, outdoor leadership, outdoor skills development, outdoor tourism, and outdoor recreation service programs.

  • Utah State University Department of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation
    The Department of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation offers a Bachelor of Science degree in three majors: Health Education, Physical Education, and Parks and Recreation. Each major includes recommended General Education courses, courses emphasizing communications skills, and a professional training component which, in all but the Recreation major, includes teaching certification requirements. They also offer a Master of Science in Corporate Wellness and a Master of Science in Health Education.