Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Why are tomatoes turning black (dark) from the bottom up when they begin to ripen. They are also dark on the inside.
Rate This FAQ
The condition that you are seeing is called blossom end rot. Blossom-end rot is a physiological disorder caused by a calcium deficiency in the young fruit. Utah soils have plenty of calcium so even though technically it is the problem, the real issue is fluctuation in the amount of water available to the plant that makes the plant unable to transport the calcium as needed. Tomatoes, squash, peppers, eggplants and melons are all vulnerable to this problem. The good news is that normally only the first few fruits to ripen are damaged.
There are a couple of different things that you can do to help prevent this condition. Overwatering your plants can aggravate this condition, especially if your plants are in a heavier clay soil. Keep a close eye on how much water you apply and how much moisture is in the soil. Mulching around your plants can also help to reduce the amount of water lost to evaporation and can help keep soil moisture levels more consistent. In addition, over fertilizing your plants can also contribute to this condition. I have included a link below to our tomatoes fact sheet.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I recently moved here from western Oregon, where they grew wonderful blueberries. Is it possible to grow blueberries here in Utah, Salt Lake County specifically? I've noticed that blueberries are not sold at the farmers' markets, and so far I haven't seen any blueberry bushes being sold in nurseries.
- Do you have information on spring-blooming perennials?
- I want to find out about the master gardener program, my computer wont let me link, can you give me more info or a different link address or something. I want to know sign up date class times, location, cost and if aid is available. Thanks so much for your help.
- Why do my tomatoes have brown spots on the bottom?
- Do you have tips for growing water lilies?
- When do I pick my watermelon?
- I would like to plant red seedless grapes. What time of the year and what variety work in Utah.
- Do you have nutrient information on fall vegetables?