Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How long should I run my sprinklers to irrigate my lawn properly?
Rate This FAQ
While this seems like a simple question, it is actually rather complex. Different sprinkler heads emit different amounts of water and it is impossible to know exactly how much water your system puts out over a period of time without actually testing it. The manufacturer's specifications for the sprinkler heads will list a precipitation rate, but this is water pressure-dependent and you should still test your system. Testing can be done with something as simple as a soup cans or a milk cartons, or you may obtain irrigation catch cups for this purpose from your county USU Extension office. The testing is described in detail on the following website: http://www.uc.usbr.gov/progact/waterconsv/pub_select.html
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have thinned out my scrub oak as a fire preventative, but I keep getting lots of runners. How do I control the runners?
- What causes tomato blossom end rot? How do you treat it?
- I am going to Hydroseed this weekend and need to know how much to water so that it germinates correctly.
- I would like to replace my dying grass with wildflowers on a sandy, hill on S. mountain. What kind of wildflowers are drought resistant and would they grow well, and where could I buy them?
- I want to revamp my lawn area plant more drought tolerant plants. Is there a way I can adjust my sprinklers to work with my new landscape - without digging the system up or hiring a professional?
- The governor's initiative says that I shouldn't water between 10AM and 6 PM. Won't I have disease problems if I irrigate at night?
- If I don't have enough water to fully irrigate all of my crop land should I try to spread the water across all of the acreage, or irrigate fewer acres with closer to full irrigation?
- I am currently looking to put in a turf grass and I wanted to know which would be the better choice between Buffalograss, Blue grama, crested wheat grass or Sideoats grama grass?