Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have thinned out my scrub oak as a fire preventative, but I keep getting lots of runners. How do I control the runners?
Rate This FAQ
It's good you've thinned your oak for fire hazard reduction. However, Gambel oak reproduces by forming sprouts along it's root system (the runners you mention) that grow quickly to fill gaps in the canopy. This sprouting is actually encouraged by thinning or pruning. It is possible to reduce sprouting by applying glyphosate (Roundup) or triclopyr (Ortho Brush-B-Gon) to stumps, but since the stump is connected by it's root system to adjacent trees, you may end up harming remaining trees you don't want to remove. You also can spray emerging sprouts with the same chemicals, but again may harm remaining trees. Therefore, the best and only way to handle the sprouts, unless you want to eliminate oak from an area completely, is to mechanically remove the sprouts by pruning, mowing, digging, etc. There's really no other way. By the way, we have a fact sheet on Firewise Plants available at http://web2.ad.ext.usu.edu/htm/publications/publication=6278.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- It is July 6th and I have a dirt yard now. Is it too late to plant a few trees and shrubs and would it be better to hydroseed now or wait until September?
- What kind of grass does well in St. George with minimal watering and how/when can we start it from seed?
- I am looking to plant Buffalo grass, which type of Buffalo grass would you recommend for Tooele?
- I want to revamp my lawn area plant more drought tolerant plants. Is there a way I can adjust my sprinklers to work with my new landscape - without digging the system up or hiring a professional?
- I have someone with about ¾ of an acre and they want to plant some kind of grass that won't require a lot of water or mowing but is good for children to play on.
- Can I use laundry water to water plants and lawn instead of just sending it into the sewer?
- This year we've noticed that many of our scrub oak trees have not shown any leaves. Adjacent properties have the same issue.
- What is the best way to plant wildflowers?