Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have thinned out my scrub oak as a fire preventative, but I keep getting lots of runners. How do I control the runners?
Rate This FAQ
It's good you've thinned your oak for fire hazard reduction. However, Gambel oak reproduces by forming sprouts along it's root system (the runners you mention) that grow quickly to fill gaps in the canopy. This sprouting is actually encouraged by thinning or pruning. It is possible to reduce sprouting by applying glyphosate (Roundup) or triclopyr (Ortho Brush-B-Gon) to stumps, but since the stump is connected by it's root system to adjacent trees, you may end up harming remaining trees you don't want to remove. You also can spray emerging sprouts with the same chemicals, but again may harm remaining trees. Therefore, the best and only way to handle the sprouts, unless you want to eliminate oak from an area completely, is to mechanically remove the sprouts by pruning, mowing, digging, etc. There's really no other way. By the way, we have a fact sheet on Firewise Plants available at http://web2.ad.ext.usu.edu/htm/publications/publication=6278.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What types of grass use the most (or least) amount of water?
- I have noticed quite a few brown areas in lawns in the Salt Lake area, including my own.
- Would Zoysia grass be a good alternative to the bluegrass?
- I would like to replace my dying grass with wildflowers on a sandy, hill on S. mountain. What kind of wildflowers are drought resistant and would they grow well, and where could I buy them?
- I am currently looking to put in a turf grass and I wanted to know which would be the better choice between Buffalograss, Blue grama, crested wheat grass or Sideoats grama grass?
- How deep should perennials, annuals, and lawn be watered?
- I want to revamp my lawn area plant more drought tolerant plants. Is there a way I can adjust my sprinklers to work with my new landscape - without digging the system up or hiring a professional?
- I am looking to plant Buffalo grass, which type of Buffalo grass would you recommend for Tooele?