Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Would Zoysia grass be a good alternative to the bluegrass?
Rate This FAQ
"I have heard the name Zoysia grass as a grass that uses much less water than the bluegrass mixes many of us have here in Utah. Can you tell me anything about it? Would it be a good alternative to the bluegrass? Would buffalo or blue grama grass better options? I have fairly large grass areas in my yard and would like something that would be more drought friendly."
Zoysiagrass has come up a number of times in the past couple of weeks, primarily because of some advertisements for Amazoy. In short, Amazoy, or zoysiagrass is not a good option here in northern Utah. While there are a number of cold hardy zoyisagrasses, I wouldn't recommend them. Amazoy is actually a variety called Meyer zoysiagrass, which has been around since the 1950's, so even if you wanted to use zoysiagrass, there are much improved varieties being sold. I don't believe anyone is selling zoysiagrass in northern Utah, however.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Where can I find an extensive list of drought tolerant trees, perennials and shrubs?
- How deep should perennials, annuals, and lawn be watered?
- If I don't have enough water to fully irrigate all of my crop land should I try to spread the water across all of the acreage, or irrigate fewer acres with closer to full irrigation?
- What is the best way to plant wildflowers?
- I want to revamp my lawn area plant more drought tolerant plants. Is there a way I can adjust my sprinklers to work with my new landscape - without digging the system up or hiring a professional?
- I have noticed quite a few brown areas in lawns in the Salt Lake area, including my own.
- The governor's initiative says that I shouldn't water between 10AM and 6 PM. Won't I have disease problems if I irrigate at night?
- It is July 6th and I have a dirt yard now. Is it too late to plant a few trees and shrubs and would it be better to hydroseed now or wait until September?