Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Would Zoysia grass be a good alternative to the bluegrass?
Rate This FAQ
"I have heard the name Zoysia grass as a grass that uses much less water than the bluegrass mixes many of us have here in Utah. Can you tell me anything about it? Would it be a good alternative to the bluegrass? Would buffalo or blue grama grass better options? I have fairly large grass areas in my yard and would like something that would be more drought friendly."
Zoysiagrass has come up a number of times in the past couple of weeks, primarily because of some advertisements for Amazoy. In short, Amazoy, or zoysiagrass is not a good option here in northern Utah. While there are a number of cold hardy zoyisagrasses, I wouldn't recommend them. Amazoy is actually a variety called Meyer zoysiagrass, which has been around since the 1950's, so even if you wanted to use zoysiagrass, there are much improved varieties being sold. I don't believe anyone is selling zoysiagrass in northern Utah, however.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I would like to replace my dying grass with wildflowers on a sandy, hill on S. mountain. What kind of wildflowers are drought resistant and would they grow well, and where could I buy them?
- How deep should perennials, annuals, and lawn be watered?
- If I don't have enough water to fully irrigate all of my crop land should I try to spread the water across all of the acreage, or irrigate fewer acres with closer to full irrigation?
- I have thinned out my scrub oak as a fire preventative, but I keep getting lots of runners. How do I control the runners?
- It is July 6th and I have a dirt yard now. Is it too late to plant a few trees and shrubs and would it be better to hydroseed now or wait until September?
- What types of grass use the most (or least) amount of water?
- I have noticed quite a few brown areas in lawns in the Salt Lake area, including my own.
- I am going to Hydroseed this weekend and need to know how much to water so that it germinates correctly.