Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Would Zoysia grass be a good alternative to the bluegrass?
Rate This FAQ
"I have heard the name Zoysia grass as a grass that uses much less water than the bluegrass mixes many of us have here in Utah. Can you tell me anything about it? Would it be a good alternative to the bluegrass? Would buffalo or blue grama grass better options? I have fairly large grass areas in my yard and would like something that would be more drought friendly."
Zoysiagrass has come up a number of times in the past couple of weeks, primarily because of some advertisements for Amazoy. In short, Amazoy, or zoysiagrass is not a good option here in northern Utah. While there are a number of cold hardy zoyisagrasses, I wouldn't recommend them. Amazoy is actually a variety called Meyer zoysiagrass, which has been around since the 1950's, so even if you wanted to use zoysiagrass, there are much improved varieties being sold. I don't believe anyone is selling zoysiagrass in northern Utah, however.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What types of grass use the most (or least) amount of water?
- I have thinned out my scrub oak as a fire preventative, but I keep getting lots of runners. How do I control the runners?
- I live in Provo and have two large dogs. They have made my back yard dirt. To fix this, should I sod or hydro seed?
- How long should I run my sprinklers to irrigate my lawn properly?
- The governor's initiative says that I shouldn't water between 10AM and 6 PM. Won't I have disease problems if I irrigate at night?
- Can I use laundry water to water plants and lawn instead of just sending it into the sewer?
- I want to revamp my lawn area plant more drought tolerant plants. Is there a way I can adjust my sprinklers to work with my new landscape - without digging the system up or hiring a professional?
- I am currently looking to put in a turf grass and I wanted to know which would be the better choice between Buffalograss, Blue grama, crested wheat grass or Sideoats grama grass?