Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
What is the best way to plant wildflowers?
Rate This FAQ
"Do we need to rake up the dead grass before we plant? What is the best way to plant the wildflowers? For our front yard, if we plant drought resistant grass, do I have to remove the dead Kentucky bluegrass first? Also, are wildflowers and native grasses bug/slug resistant?"
First, you need to make sure the grass is actually dead. If it's still alive you will start seeing some growth when the temperatures start to warm up (about March). If this is the case, allow the grass to grow up a little in early spring and then treat it with Round-Up. Either way, you will need to remove the dead sod before you plant your wildflowers. I would suggest broadcasting the wildflower seeds and then raking over them to make sure they are covered. It will be important the first year that you control the weeds - this will cut down on the possibility of future weed problems. Once you get the wildflowers established, they will have a much better chance of out competing the weeds. In general, native plants do tend to be more insect and disease resistant.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I would like to replace my dying grass with wildflowers on a sandy, hill on S. mountain. What kind of wildflowers are drought resistant and would they grow well, and where could I buy them?
- How deep should perennials, annuals, and lawn be watered?
- It is July 6th and I have a dirt yard now. Is it too late to plant a few trees and shrubs and would it be better to hydroseed now or wait until September?
- I have noticed quite a few brown areas in lawns in the Salt Lake area, including my own.
- What kind of grass does well in St. George with minimal watering and how/when can we start it from seed?
- I am looking to plant Buffalo grass, which type of Buffalo grass would you recommend for Tooele?
- This year we've noticed that many of our scrub oak trees have not shown any leaves. Adjacent properties have the same issue.
- How long should I run my sprinklers to irrigate my lawn properly?