How much friction does it take to pop a balloon?
How does inertia and centripetal force work?
Let's find out!
What You Need
- other metal objects such as coins
What You Do
- Place a metal object inside a balloon, blow up the balloon, and tie it. Be careful not to swallow the metal object when you blow up the balloon.
- Hold the balloon by the stem end. Twirl the balloon and listen to the sound.
- What happens to the balloon?
- How long does it take before the balloon pops?
- Experiment with different numbers of metal items.
Use the following resources to learn more: