What does a giant use to brush his teeth? Fog giant toothpaste! Let's explore chemical reactions related to molecules and oxygen.
What You Need
- 16.9 oz. empty plastic water or soda bottles
- 1/2 cup 20-volume hydrogen peroxide (6% solution)
- Dish washing liquid (such as Dawn or Joy)
- Food coloring
- 1 teaspoon yeast (dissolved in 2 tablespoons very warm water)
- Foil cake pan with 2-inch sides
- Lab goggles and smock are suggested
What You Do
- Stand up bottle in the center of the cake pan. Put the funnel in the opening. Add 3-4 drops of food coloring of your choice into the peroxide and pour the peroxide through the funnel into the bottle.
- Add the liquid soap to the bottle.
- Pour the yeast mixture into the bottle and remove the funnel.
- Touch the bottle. Can you feel the changes?
The Science: How did the toothpaste feel? Why do you think the chemical reaction occurs?
Use the following resources to learn more:
Adapted from Centaurs, Trolls, and Fairies from Aggie Adventures for Kids which was adapted from Steve Spangler's website.