Did you know that some plastic bags are biodegradable? Let's make some plastic!
What You Need
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 drops corn oil
- Ziploc bag
- Food coloring
What You Do
- Place one tablespoon of cornstarch in a plastic Ziploc Bag.
- Add two drops of corn oil.
- Add one tablespoon of water.
- Mix the cornstarch, corn oil and water in the plastic bag by rubbing the outside of the bag with your fingers.
- Add two drops of food coloring and mix again.
- Place the bag in a microwave on high for 20-25 seconds.
- DO NOT completely seal the bag. Be careful!!! It is hot.
- How is your plastic like and unlike others? How is it like and unlike a plastic bag?
- What happens to your plastic when you roll it into a ball?
- What happens when it get wet?
- What could you make with this plastic? What could you not make?
The project above was part of the Cookin' Up Science program.