Let's build a balloon-powered race car!
What You Need
Collect as many of the following items as you wish. Then, use whatever works for you.
- Wintergreen or peppermint lifesavers (these aren't sticky like the fruit flavors)
- Wooden Spools (all the same sizes or mixed sizes)
- Wooden sticks (popsicle size)
- Box of paperclips
- Box of pins
- Duct tape
- Masking tape
- Construction paper and cardboard
- Markers or crayons
- Rubber bands
What You Do
- Cut a piece of cardboard 6 inches by 8 inches. Decorate it.
- Tape two straws to the bottom of the cardboard to hold the wheels.
- Use lifesavers or spools as the wheels. Add them to the end of each straw.
- Use a straight pin to keep the wheels from falling off.
- Cut a bendable straw about 2 inches from the bend and firmly attach it to a balloon.
- Attach the balloon to one end of the car.
- Blow up the balloon.
- Race your balloon powered car on a smooth surface.
You don't need to follow our directions. Just create a car from the materials on hand and use a balloon to provide the power.
Use the following resources to learn more: