Evaluating Storage Requirements
Estimating the volume of manure and wastewater produced is important to determine if storage facilities are adequate for critical periods. Follow the steps below to estimate the volumes of manure and wastewater produced during the critical storage period.
This step will also help you determine if your operation's storage capacity for manure and wastewater is adequate
To get started, read the complete text of Step 2 (link at the bottom of the page). Then, read over this page, follow links to helpful information, and complete the forms and worksheets. File these documents in an organized manner for later reference.
After completing this section, you should:
- Have estimated the amount of manure and wastewater produced during critical storage periods.
- Have calculated your current manure and wastewater storage capacity.
- Have evaluated whether your current storage capabilities are adequate.
Information you will need:
- Critical Storage Period ( see Table 1 - Approximate days of winter storage required )
- Number and average weight of animals in each livestock category or type.
- Manure produced by each category or type of livestock ( see Table 2 - Livestock type and daily manure volume production. )
- Dimensions of current manure storage facilities.
Documentation filed in this section:
1. Estimate of manure volumes produced during the critical storage period and/or documentation showing the actual volumes of manure produced.
Directions to Estimate Manure Volumes
Is your manure storage volume adequate for the critical period? If not, additional storage or alternative handling practices may be needed.
2 . Estimate of wastewater volumes produced during the critical storage period and/or documentation showing the actual volumes of wastewater produced.
Directions to Estimate Wastewater Volumes
Is your wastewater storage volume adequate for the critical period? If not, additional storage or alternative handling practices may be needed.
3. Periodic monitoring is recommended to assure that your storage structures are adequate for your operation.
Full Text of Step 2 from USU/NRCS CNMP Curriculum:
- Step 2 (Word document)
- Step 2 (PDF)
- Full text from Comprehensive Nutrient Management Planning: A 12 Step Guide