General Info

Wasatch County has unique gardening issues due to its high elevation.  USU Extension offers assistance and programming to help meet these needs. 

Here is some of what we have to offer.

Plant Diagnostics

The USU Extension Office diagnoses plant problems and identifies insects, arachnids, and weeds.  Bring healthy and diseased plant tissue samples, or insects in a jar.  Common problems can be diagnosed on the spot.  Uncommon problems need to be sent to the USU plant pathology lab in Logan.  This costs about $8.

We can also suggest plants that work well in high mountain valleys.

Wasatch Garden Club

The Wasatch Garden Club meets monthly to discuss gardening issues and ideas.  See Garden Club Schedule for our next meeting.  This club is free and open to anyone who would like to learn more about gardening.  Here is your chance to learn from Wasatch County natives! 

Master Gardener Program

The Master Gardener Volunteer Program is taught each February.  It costs $125/person or $150/couple and is a 10-week course.  See link to Master Gardener Program for more information. 

Slow the Flow

You can become a better water steward!  The Water Check Program are available through USU Extension. Trained water auditors will come to your home and evaluate the efficiency of your sprinkler system.

Soil Test

It is a good idea to have your soil tested every couple of years to see which nutrients your soil needs.  Soil test packets and a soil probe are available at the USU Extension office.

General Planting Information for Wasatch County

What kind of plants do well in our high mountain valley?

USDA Cold Hardiness Zone 4 or less (smaller numbers indicate greater cold tolerance)

Matures in 90 days or less

Water-wise plants

Alkaline-tolerant plants (pH average is 7.5)

For specific variety recommendations, see “Selection and Culture of Landscape Plants in Utah: A Guide for High Mountain Valleys.”  This is available for free on the USU Extension Website or sold for $2.00 at the USU Extension office.

For more information about any of these services, contact

Allan Sulser, USU Extension Ag/4-H Agent



55 South 500 East in Heber City