Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
By the end of June, our apple tree looked sickly, with faded, curling brown leaves. I am wondering if the leaves look the way they do because my husband doesn't spray regularly or because the tree is not getting enough water in our arid climate. When he does stick to a schedule, it seems that the leaves don't look much better. This is a tree that is nearly twenty years old. I have never noticed an infestation of bugs. Apples have gotten smaller and smaller by the year, most have worms. The tree is in our front yard and I really would like it to look healthy, regardless of whether or not we get eatable fruit. What should we do?
Rate This FAQ
It sounds like your tree is on its "last legs". Perhaps the root system is compromised in some way. Curling leaves might indicate herbicide damage. Wormy apples are due to codling moth. Some apple trees (Jonathan, especially) are very susceptible to powdery mildew, which affects the leaves. In other words, there are many unanswered questions; I cannot tell you a firm diagnosis.
If you would like to bring a small limb into our office, we may be able to help you better.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- When should apple trees be sprayed and how should we go about it. Is there someone in Utah Co. who will come and do it. We have a golden apple tree that produces big, good apples when taken care of.
- How can I store my fresh garden fruits and vegetables?
- I would like to plant red seedless grapes. What time of the year and what variety work in Utah.
- Do you have tips for growing cauliflower and celery?
- When, how and what do I spray my apple, cherry and peach trees with? I have inherited 7 fruit trees and I have never grown fruit trees before.
- Why are tomatoes turning black (dark) from the bottom up when they begin to ripen. They are also dark on the inside.
- What are some good perennials that flower all summer and do well in Utah?
- Do you have information on average last spring freeze dates in Utah?