Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I live in Riverton, and have areas in my lawn that are brown and sparse. I planted the lawn from seed, a Kentucky bluegrass blend I bought from a nursery, at least 10 years ago. It grows well in cooler weather, but by summer it looks dead in patches and is stiff, not soft lawn for the kids to play on. I would like to put down some patch seed, but don't know what kind to use and how is the best way to plant. Do I have to take out the old lawn or can I just sprinkle it on and cover with a little bit of soil. Also, is there any way to control the wide leaf weed that grows throughout my lawn as well as the entire neighborhood?
Rate This FAQ
Your lawn is a blend of grass species or varieties. Some are more heat-tolerant than others, and some are more cold-tolerant than others. The part that browns out in summer is probably not too heat tolerant, so you may want to over-seed now with a more heat-tolerant cultivar.
USU Extension's publication "Turfgrass Cultivars for Utah" will help you select the grass seed you need. The publication is online at http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/HG_Grass_2004_01.pdf
I cannot tell exactly what weed you want control recommendation for. You can either bring a specimen in to our office or send a digital photo of it to us; if we can identify it we can tell you the most effective control for it.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Do you have information on soil testing?
- What is killing my lawn? It was fine in the spring, and now this summer, it is looking dead in patchy spots.
- We have solanum dulcamara, creeping nightshade, growing in our back yard. I could use some advice in how to get rid of it. Also, how dangerous is the plant to touch? Is the plant dangerous only when ingested?
- My sycamore tree has brown-reddish spots along the leaf veins. What is it?
- Do you have tips for edging my lawn?
- When is the best time to plant my grass in the spring? And how much fertilizer should I put on if any?
- Last year my maple tree started losing leaves. I investigated and found it full of earwigs under the bark. I killed the bugs. The bark is falling off, Can I save my tree? It is over 20 years old.
- We live in Perry, Utah. We are getting our yard prepared for sprinklers and grass. We are doing a lot of rock in areas, so we are not watering as much grass etc. We are wondering about the grass itself. At this point we would like to put sod down, but we are wondering what type of grass we should be looking for that is heat and drought tolerant and that will do well all year long in the area where we live. Can you suggest a particular sod or seed, and a place to obtain it, that might work well for us?