Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We bought a new home with no turf established in the backyard. Do you offer any advice for putting in our own yard?
Rate This FAQ
Establishing a lawn can be a daunting task - consider and discuss your needs and resources before deciding how to proceed.
How much money are you willing to spend? How much work and time can you devote to this job? What is your timeline? What other resources are available to you (truck, trailer, tools, etc.)
The most economical way to grow a lawn is to direct seed. You can buy seed in bulk from Granite Seed in Lehi or many other sources. Plant a blend of grass cultivars so that you will have some grass seedlings emerging quickly (to help prevent soil erosion and seed runoff), some cultivars greening up early in spring, and some cultivar(s) tolerating hot summer temperatures.
Read the USU Extension publication "Turfgrass Cultivars for Utah" at http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/HG_Grass_2004_01.pdf
University of Minnesota's Sustainable Urban Landscape Information Series describes lawn establishment very well. See their webpage at http://www.sustland.umn.edu/maint/newlawn.htm This webpage will help you decide your approach to establishing your new lawn.
One note - when possible, amend native soil with good quality organic matter. The best buy is compost from the landfill (both the Trans-Jordan and the Salt Lake City landfill sell compost). However thickly you apply the organic matter, mix it into the native soil twice that depth. This will pay off with a more vigorous and healthy lawn down the road.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I am actually in Colorado, I am interested in the zone(s) in Eden. I am designing a landscape there and want to plant accordingly. I, also, am interested in a list of noxious plants, I'd like to avoid them. Thank You!
- How and when can I transplant small, 6-12 inch and medium, 5 ft joshua trees? The latter is more important at this point since it would be a shame to lose it.
- Do you have tips on managing grasshoppers in my yard?
- My roses and boxelder trees have sticky (sap) leaves, what is causing this problem?
- What is killing all the scrub oak and where can I find information on how to save the scrub oak I have that has not been affected by it yet?
- I bought an azaleas from costco. How do I take care of it?
- I have a 25-foot tall scrub oak that appears to be dying. If it is anthracnose that is killing it, can it be saved? There are some commercial, injectable products that claim success. Is it possible?
- What is causing the holes in my peach and cherry trees?