Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How do I keep insects out of stored grain?
Rate This FAQ
Homeowners can freeze grains to control insects. To control insects by freezing, place 1 to 15 pounds of grain in a medium to heavy plastic bag and place in freezer for 2-3 days. After removing bag from freezer leave grain in a warm room for 24 hours to allow grain to dry from condensation.
If you have large amounts of grain you can use dry ice fumigation. In a 5-gallon bucket place 3 to 4 inches of grain in the bottom, spread 2 ounces of dry ice on the 3 to 4 inches of grain. After the ice is added, fill the container with grain to desired depth. Allow approximately 30 minutes for the ice to vaporize (evaporate) before placing the lid tightly on the container. You can place the lid ajar over the container during the 30 minute evaporation phase. After evaporation the lid must be fit air-tight to remain effective.
Note: Freezing and dry ice will control adult and larval stage insects, but not eggs. You may have to use multiple freeze cycles until no further insect activity is observed.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- This is a food storage question. I have called Iams and Purina re cat food storage. They could not tell me how long I could store their dry food product in an oxygen free envirenment. I would like to store the food in 6 gallon buckets to which an oxygen absorber has been added. I have several members in my ward who are interested in this answer. Do you have any experience with this?
- I would like to find a recipe for canning apple pie filling that is safe for my elevation. I have looked through your web sites to no avail. Please direct me.
- When canning dry beans is it necessary to rehydrate by soaking them before you can them?
- Can I use bay leaves or nails in my wheat to protect from insects?
- How long can I keep stored foods?
- Do I need to treat water before storing it?
- Information for Canning at High Altitudes.
- How to store fesh oranges to last as long as possible?