Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Where should I put my food storage?
Rate This FAQ
The optimal conditions for food storage are a cool (50-70 degrees F), dry, dark, and well ventilated place. In Utah, most basements provide good storage conditions. Food stored in warmer, lighter, and more humid conditions will loose quality faster. If you have limited space consider storing food under beds, couches, or tables. Use book shelves to display home canned goods or make tables with 5 gallon food storage containers as the base.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Can powdered milk have a problem with mold?
- I have a question about my pressure canned sliced peaches. I cold-packed sliced peaches covering them with a light syrup. Following instructions I packed them with 1/2 inch headspace and poured the liquid to 1/2 inch headspace. However, the peaches floated up so that they were not covered by the liquid during processing. I did run a wooden spatula down the sides of the jars and seemed to get all air bubbles out of the jar. I processed in the pressure canner according to instructions at 10 PSI for 10 minutes. When I removed the jars the liquid was boiling and there seemed to be a lot of air bubbles around the fruit. The jars were already sealed when I took them out of the canner after waiting 10 minutes after the pressure seal dropped. The liquid is down considerably - looks to be about 1 1/2 to 2 inches and the peaches are floating. There are air bubbles and air pockets. The seal is fine. Are these peaches safe?
- Can I store wheat, sugar, flour or other products purchased in 25 pound bags in a rubbermaid container? I am looking for space efficient ways to store bulk grains and legumes.
- how do I store fruits and vegetables?
- Do weevil turn into moths? If not where would moths come from in my food storage room? and how do you get rid of them?
- I have tried pressure canning chicken 4 times now. I've done 2 batches cooked chicken and 2 batches raw chicken. All 4 times most of the water cooked out of the jars. Is this supposed to happen and is the chicken safe for us to eat?
- Can you tell me what the adult form is for the weevil that I find in my flour and pasta?
- Can you use canned food such as soups and vegetables past their use by date and if so how far past can you use them. How long does home canned fruits keep their nutional value?