Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Where should I put my food storage?
Rate This FAQ
The optimal conditions for food storage are a cool (50-70 degrees F), dry, dark, and well ventilated place. In Utah, most basements provide good storage conditions. Food stored in warmer, lighter, and more humid conditions will loose quality faster. If you have limited space consider storing food under beds, couches, or tables. Use book shelves to display home canned goods or make tables with 5 gallon food storage containers as the base.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have a question about my pressure canned sliced peaches. I cold-packed sliced peaches covering them with a light syrup. Following instructions I packed them with 1/2 inch headspace and poured the liquid to 1/2 inch headspace. However, the peaches floated up so that they were not covered by the liquid during processing. I did run a wooden spatula down the sides of the jars and seemed to get all air bubbles out of the jar. I processed in the pressure canner according to instructions at 10 PSI for 10 minutes. When I removed the jars the liquid was boiling and there seemed to be a lot of air bubbles around the fruit. The jars were already sealed when I took them out of the canner after waiting 10 minutes after the pressure seal dropped. The liquid is down considerably - looks to be about 1 1/2 to 2 inches and the peaches are floating. There are air bubbles and air pockets. The seal is fine. Are these peaches safe?
- I would like to find a recipe for canning apple pie filling that is safe for my elevation. I have looked through your web sites to no avail. Please direct me.
- I have tried pressure canning chicken 4 times now. I've done 2 batches cooked chicken and 2 batches raw chicken. All 4 times most of the water cooked out of the jars. Is this supposed to happen and is the chicken safe for us to eat?
- Is it safe to bottle butter? I went to a class and they said it was "canning butter" yet we didn't process it.
- Can I use bay leaves or nails in my wheat to protect from insects?
- Can you tell me what the adult form is for the weevil that I find in my flour and pasta?
- how do I store fruits and vegetables?
- How do I keep insects out of stored grain?