Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How long can I keep stored foods?
Rate This FAQ
Under cool, dry, dark conditions most food will keep well for 18 months to 2 years. Wheat and sugar will keep well for 25 years. Foods which have been canned correctly and stored correctly will be safe for much longer periods of time. However, as food ages there will naturally be changes in color, flavor, odor, and texture. Color will darken, texture will soften, and odor will change. Although the food may be safe it might not be palatable. If any of the following apply throw the food out:
· Food was processed improperly (untested canning recipe, no altitude changes, etc.) The jar may be sealed, but deadly microorganisms are sealed in the jar.
· Bulging cans
· Milky appearance to liquid. As food ages the liquid will become cloudier as food sloughs off, but it should not be milky.
· Mold growth
· Slimy appearance or texture
· Rancid odor
· Corrosion on inside of can, especially along seam
· Rust, especially on seam or seal of can
· Frozen canned goods - this can cause hairline fractures in the seal and seams. If accidentally frozen, keep frozen until ready to use.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What protein content should my stored wheat have?
- Can I get my pressure cooker tested? When and where? Thanks for a great service! jh
- Do weevil turn into moths? If not where would moths come from in my food storage room? and how do you get rid of them?
- Does my stored food still have any nutritional value?
- Can I use bay leaves or nails in my wheat to protect from insects?
- This is a food storage question. I have called Iams and Purina re cat food storage. They could not tell me how long I could store their dry food product in an oxygen free envirenment. I would like to store the food in 6 gallon buckets to which an oxygen absorber has been added. I have several members in my ward who are interested in this answer. Do you have any experience with this?
- I would like to find a recipe for canning apple pie filling that is safe for my elevation. I have looked through your web sites to no avail. Please direct me.
- Can I store wheat, sugar, flour or other products purchased in 25 pound bags in a rubbermaid container? I am looking for space efficient ways to store bulk grains and legumes.