Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How long can I keep stored foods?
Rate This FAQ
Under cool, dry, dark conditions most food will keep well for 18 months to 2 years. Wheat and sugar will keep well for 25 years. Foods which have been canned correctly and stored correctly will be safe for much longer periods of time. However, as food ages there will naturally be changes in color, flavor, odor, and texture. Color will darken, texture will soften, and odor will change. Although the food may be safe it might not be palatable. If any of the following apply throw the food out:
· Food was processed improperly (untested canning recipe, no altitude changes, etc.) The jar may be sealed, but deadly microorganisms are sealed in the jar.
· Bulging cans
· Milky appearance to liquid. As food ages the liquid will become cloudier as food sloughs off, but it should not be milky.
· Mold growth
· Slimy appearance or texture
· Rancid odor
· Corrosion on inside of can, especially along seam
· Rust, especially on seam or seal of can
· Frozen canned goods - this can cause hairline fractures in the seal and seams. If accidentally frozen, keep frozen until ready to use.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have a question regarding commercially canned tomatoes. I have read on your website that the nutritional value of vegetables may not be maintained after the expiration date. I have heard somewhere that tomatoes are an exception, and there could be a problem with the tomatoes that would not be able to be detected, and that they should just be discarded at the expiration date for safety's sake. Is this true?
- Can I get my pressure cooker tested? When and where? Thanks for a great service! jh
- I have tried pressure canning chicken 4 times now. I've done 2 batches cooked chicken and 2 batches raw chicken. All 4 times most of the water cooked out of the jars. Is this supposed to happen and is the chicken safe for us to eat?
- How to store fesh oranges to last as long as possible?
- Can I store wheat, sugar, flour or other products purchased in 25 pound bags in a rubbermaid container? I am looking for space efficient ways to store bulk grains and legumes.
- How much water should I store?
- Is it save to eat weevil?
- When canning dry beans is it necessary to rehydrate by soaking them before you can them?