Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How long can I keep stored foods?
Rate This FAQ
Under cool, dry, dark conditions most food will keep well for 18 months to 2 years. Wheat and sugar will keep well for 25 years. Foods which have been canned correctly and stored correctly will be safe for much longer periods of time. However, as food ages there will naturally be changes in color, flavor, odor, and texture. Color will darken, texture will soften, and odor will change. Although the food may be safe it might not be palatable. If any of the following apply throw the food out:
· Food was processed improperly (untested canning recipe, no altitude changes, etc.) The jar may be sealed, but deadly microorganisms are sealed in the jar.
· Bulging cans
· Milky appearance to liquid. As food ages the liquid will become cloudier as food sloughs off, but it should not be milky.
· Mold growth
· Slimy appearance or texture
· Rancid odor
· Corrosion on inside of can, especially along seam
· Rust, especially on seam or seal of can
· Frozen canned goods - this can cause hairline fractures in the seal and seams. If accidentally frozen, keep frozen until ready to use.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What can I store water in?
- Is it safe to bottle butter? I went to a class and they said it was "canning butter" yet we didn't process it.
- I just inherited a pressure canner. It's pretty well used and I'm a little nervous about using it. I've never done pressure canning before. Is there a place where I can get it checked out for safety, and how do I learn how to use it.
- Can I store wheat, sugar, flour or other products purchased in 25 pound bags in a rubbermaid container? I am looking for space efficient ways to store bulk grains and legumes.
- Can powdered milk have a problem with mold?
- Can you use canned food such as soups and vegetables past their use by date and if so how far past can you use them. How long does home canned fruits keep their nutional value?
- I just prepared pesto today containing basil, pine nuts, garlic, italian cheeses, and lemon juice, pretty much in that order from largest quantity to smallest. For how long could I keep this in my freezer before the oil will go rancid or the pesto will otherwise be inedible. Seems to me that I kept some a while back for 6 months, and after eating it I got sick, though this could be coincidental.
- Is it save to eat weevil?